Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD

• Please log in to reply

little36

little36

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Didn't know where to put it. Anyways, I am trying to watch or put a dvd on my computer and i put it in drive d and it doesn't work. i've also tried drive e. it keeps saying please insert a cd/dvd into the drive. I also downloaded PowerDVD. If anyone can tell me why it wont read or recognize the dvd, that would be so helpful. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

little36

little36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
anyone?

little36

little36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
bump

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Bumping your post will not get you help any faster. Everyone volunteers here to try to help and this forum is very busy. If you have not received an answer to your post in 3 days, then please post in The Waiting Room.

Ron

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
the dvd your trying to play, is it a factory cd or a burned (copy)?

little36

little36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
it is a factory dvd. i recentley bought it from a video store.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Is it just this dvd or have you tried others?

little36

little36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i have tried about 4-5 different dvd's. any it does the same thing. wont show up on the hard drive.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
1)insert dvd into DVD drive
2)open "my computer" and look at your dvd drives
3)does the drive just sit and spin for a while and do nothing or does it display any info when you look at "my computer"

little36

little36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
After i put the dvd into drive e, it will let you click on the icon cd-rw drive e and will open to a blank page with nothing on it.. same with cd drive d. that's all that happens.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
don't click on the drive. after you insert the dvd, it should come up and give you title of the disc in the description. If it doesn't, then it won't read the dvd.

Please look at the faceplates on the drives. Do they have the DVD symbol on them? I'm trying to find out if they are indeed dvd drives and not just normal cd drives.

Click on START-->RUN and type in B]devmgmt.msc[/B] and hit the ENTER key or click OK.
<enter>

Click on dvd/cd drives to expand. Tell me what it shows there.
for example, on mine it shows: TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462c

Thanks,
Starjax

little36

little36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It doesn't say dvd on the faceplate. it says compact disc rewritable and compact disc. the thing you told me to type in says HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8481B and the other one says HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, those are normal cd players and a cd burner. you do not have a dvd capable playback device.

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

It doesn't say dvd on the faceplate. it says compact disc rewritable and compact disc. the thing you told me to type in says HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8481B and the other one says HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B

In order to play a DVD on your computer, you must have a drive capable of reading them. Neither of these drives are capable of reading DVDs.

One of them can read and write CDs while the other can only read CDs.

little36

little36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
k thanks for your help