Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont start

• Please log in to reply

armando 61

armando 61

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
A computer supose to start without a cd drive im only good at malware but not repairs so i need to know how should i fix it i dont know if its a bad power supply becuze when i insert the power plug the fan will move for like 1 sec and trun off and when i go press the power on button it wont start there is a cord removed form a place called MAIN BOARD VENDER ID **** yea and i thinks thats for the cd drive maybe well tell me wat i can do to fix this or wat to buy thank u

OH I UPLOADED A VIDEO ON YOUTUBE TO HELP U SOLVE IT

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi armando 61...

Looking at the video, it appears that the cable that is disconnected is the primary IDE channel. If it goes to the blue socket on the mainboard, it's the primary. This socket is generally used to connect the primary master, which would be the HDD. Check the cables...make sure that the HDD is fully connected and the cables are firmly seated in their respective connectors. That said, it still should not cycle off as you describe.

I would be highly suspect of the power supply or the processor. Have you checked to see that the processor is firmly seated in the socket? You might also replace the thermal paste between the processor and cooler...an overheating processor will give you this kind of problem. If the paste has broken down or the cooler is no longer making good contact with the processor, it will overheat almost instantly and shut the machine off.

Your machine appears to be an OEM, or branded machine. Many time these will have non standard power supplies that must be purchased from the manufacturer. I'd recommend you take that in and have it tested at a computer repair shop. OR you can connect a known good power supply to the machine and see if it starts...or at least runs the post routine to the point where you hear a system beep(s). If it does, then the power supply is the culprit.

wannabe1

armando 61

armando 61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
umm can u show some pics or something to see how to put them in the right cables?
umm about the power supply if that dident work wouldent even no get no power cuze when i put in the power
plug the fan will move for like 1 sec and stop so plz show me some pics or something and show me were they
go thank u

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
As Wannabe1 indicated, and I also suspect you have a power supply issue or CPU/ board.
The cable you were holding, the loose end goes on the hard drive. Watch the orientation.
The hard drive cable being off will not cause the PSU tto shut off. The fan will continue to spin.
You need to have the PSU checked/ replaced. And as also said it is most likely a special supply that you can only get from the OEM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
It may not be the PS if the HD is not connected as I think there is a needed detect HD needed to fully power on. Since it's not there it shuts down. Just a guess.

Ron

armando 61

armando 61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
well ok do want to see some closer pics of it and everything so yall can judge than?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You could probably just post a reply as to whether your HD is connected at all and, if not, that may be all that has to be done is to connect HD to correct connectors on your MB. The fan probably only starts and shuts off as the processor is not detecting what is needed to fully allow power up. Both the HD and CD need to be properly connected. The HD for sure. Do you have info on the MB type? Video was a little too shaky for me to see clearly what the PC's make and model was. Getting too old I guess. Between the four of us, we ought to be able to get this figured out.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 13 August 2007 - 08:52 AM.

armando 61

armando 61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
wat u mean about (hd)? just tell me im not that good with computers to know all that now just tell me simple about wat u mean not all high tech on me lol

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
HD is hard drive. It looks like from the video that it is not connected. The HD is approximately 4 inches wide by 5 1/2 inches long and 1 inch thick.
It could be maxtor/ western digital/ seagate/ etc.

In the computer, generally along the very front you will have a CR rom (accessable from the front), a HD (internal to the case). You might also have a floppy.

Can you give us a make and model of the computer. It is on the front, but not clear.

armando 61

armando 61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ok i got it and i brought a little more pictures that u can look at to help me fix this problem

Posted Image

Edited by armando 61, 14 August 2007 - 07:48 AM.