Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP install - Download errors

• Please log in to reply

z00ropa

z00ropa

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I recently did a clean install of Windows XP. Did all the SP2 updates. When I try to download something, either nothing happens, or it will download and get half way through and say an error occured please try again, or the file will down load and when I try to run it will tell me file corrupted.

So far this has happened trying to download new video drivers, firefox, and Mcafee. Automatic updates have downloaded just fine.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you use another PC to download anything, then burn it to CDR to see if it will install

If not, you could start with re-installing Windows Installer

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

z00ropa

z00ropa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I was able to install files that were previously downloaded and stored on my slave drive. No problems.

Could this be a firewall issue? I installed a nvidia firewall that came with the motherboard software, windows firewall is on, and then of course my router has its own firewall.