Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Access Restriction

• Please log in to reply

oenetwork

oenetwork

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am looking for a way to restrict access to the internet on our company's wireless network by creating a default home page that requires a login to get past it. I have seen other companies use this type of access restriction, but I do not know how to create it. I have already used all the standard methods of access control (restricting with a WEP, MAC address restrictions), but these all require a bit of effort to allow a guest to access the internet. Does anyone know how this can be done easily? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

Advertisements

oenetwork

oenetwork

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I forgot to add that if they do not authenticate, I would like them to still be able to browse the company intranet

-Steve

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..there are a couple of methods....

hotels and the like use specific networking devices that route internet requests to an authentication page that require you to log in to gain access (so y ou can't just sit in the parking lot)...

you could get a proxy server that requires authentication (there are alot of free and paid proxy server packages taht can handle authentication)

i've got a barracuda networks webfilter 310 that has LDAP integration so that i can control internet access based on AD group memberships....it also is a content filter, spyware filter, and virus filter...reallly nifty stuff..