Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Linux Distro Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

Joker1337

Joker1337

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello all!

I have been "given" an old Dell, with a Celeron 1.1GHz CPU and 128MB of RAM in it so that I can make it into a workstation for web work and general productivity. It presently runs XP, which is literally taxing the thing above and beyond its reasonable levels. I'm trying to get a distro that will operate on it. I've poked around for a few hours, presently testing Puppy and Slax on it, both of which work reasonably well, but I'm open to other suggestions. I intended to pop Kubuntu onto it, but I can't find an older distro that won't eat the thing's resources all to heck.

If you know of a distro that:

Uses GNOME
Has low system requirements
Can be operated by a novice Linux user
Has some wireless support, ideally

Please let me know.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Slackware 10.x, Stable and fast. Choice of desktop environments with a good selection of packages in the repositories.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
this one interests me, please let me know which one you settled for and why, also if kubuntu is OK since that is what I use too though I would imagine that it too is a little over demanding. thanks

Joker1337

Joker1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Leaning towards Puppy at the moment. Slax is workable as a boot-CD distro, but I'd like to be able to make it stand-alone. Slackware seems to be pushing the poor baby too hard (truthfully, Slax is almost doing that.) I'm gonna try to get Puppy config'd and set the way I want tonight and then we'll see what happens.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks for the feedback, I tried out puppy last night on a IBM thankpad x30 because I was having problems with the debian etch net install which plonked due to the problem between the screen and the chair, me.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Your biggest problem is the ram... If you even had 64 to 128 more megs it would probably make a big difference. Also from my understanding of Gnome it wouldn't be a good fit for you as it is resource hungry ( or at least the most recent releases are... You could try Xubuntu also as that uses xfce which is suppose to be easy on the resources..... but without upgrading the ram your best bet would either be slackware and xfce or another lightweight gui or puppy or possibly DSL.... ( dxxn small linux )

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Well, without a doubt I would have to say Ubuntu, it's easy, fast and runs on anything. If you want speed and stability though, even on a lower-speced box, look at Gentoo (I have to say though, this is really tough if you're not good with Linux).

jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Also look like a fine candidate for ARCH linux..HERE
(my distro for choice for last 16 months or so..So I AM biased.. lol )