Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Remove .DS_Store Files?

• Please log in to reply

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I've got .DS_Store files on my Windows XP desktop and in other folders. Should these be removed or left alone? If not removed can I put them in a folder of their own and put that folder somewhere I won't see it?

Thanks,

Robert

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Robert Tracy...

Do you transfer files between a PC and a Mac? If you do, these files should normally be invisible unless you have the Windows machine set to show hidden files and folders. To make them "disappear", go into Folder Options and set the machine to not show hidden files and folders.

Information on DS_Store files

wannabe1

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Hi wannabe1!

Do you transfer files between a PC and a Mac?

Indeed I do.

Thanks for the solution, and the link. :whistling:

Robert

P.S. Just noticed I've got a wwp.dmg file on the Windows desktop. Same question as my original question: remove or not? The .DS_Store files are not visible now.

Edited by Robert Tracy, 10 August 2007 - 08:49 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The wwp.dmg is basically the Mac version of an .iso file. Have you moved a disk image or something of that nature from the Mac to the PC? There are converters available to deal with these files, but if you don't know what it is, I'd just delete it.

Glad I could help. :whistling:

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Have you moved a disk image or something of that nature from the Mac to the PC?

Yep, all the time. Seems I've seen this wwp.dmg enough times before. Always just deleted it, as you just suggested.

Thanks for taking the time for this. :whistling:

Robert