Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot open/access offline files

• Please log in to reply

mr_eegee

mr_eegee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
a friend of mine set up a domain for his church (but didn't do it well :tazz: ). they've got server 2000 with 7 or so win xp pro boxes. server was initially set up with an os drive and a data drive. lo and behold, the data drive died and the backup failed. so i've gotten the call to help him out.

all xp boxes had 'my docs' pointed to the server, and synchronized offline files on logoff. offline files worked great for 'jill' during the server's absence. since the os hard drive was still good, a raid was set up, and the server was re-connected to the network. the instant it was, jill's offline files were completely unaccessable.

there have been absolutely NO domain changes or password / account changes, and unplugging jill from the the network (working 'offline') does nothing. i've personally logged into every account set up on the compter and tried everything to open up any file listed in the offline files folder, changed security rights and user accts. nothing works.

here's the kicker: windows stores all offline files under c:\windows in a system directory called 'cfc'. it's got 9 or so sub-directories (d1-d9) with a bunch of generically named files with no file extensions. now, i can open offline files in 'detail' view and look at a file's size; then i can locate a file under the cfc directory of the same size. add the appropriate file extension and bam! i've got one of jill's files, albeit it's still got that generic name windows gave it.

now, matching file size on some zillion files is not my idea of a good time, nor is it really a cost-effective solution. maybe my problem's really easy; ultimately, i've got a lot of unidentified files. using the 'use web to identify/open this file' doesn't work. if i could at least identify what kind of file each is (word, jpeg, publisher, etc.) then i think they'd be happy. or, if someone knows how to restore files from cfc without all this runaround, that'd be even better. thx, much appreciated-

Advertisements

sanjaytool12

sanjaytool12

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Transfer OST Files to PST software is best approach your exchange OST to PST Files format. Convert OST Files to PST software more efficiently. Convert OST Files to PST software automatically Convert OST to PST files format. Transfer OST Files to MS Outlook software easily scan all information from email item such as sent item, received item, inbox item, Outlook box etc. Convert OST Files to PST Outlook as like OST, PST, MSG files format and Convert OST Files to PST software can convert your lost, deleted emails from corrupted OST files and OST to PST software allows you for OST conversion easily. It is also allowing all its email properties like subject, To, From, CC, BCC, date and time etc. Convert OST Files to PST Free demo version and extract all OST items. TO order retail version, pay $99 only. for more info:-http://www.convert-osttopst.org