Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Install Internet Explorer 7

• Please log in to reply

eleasias

eleasias

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I have tried several times to install Internet Explorer 7 to my computer, and It won't work. It looks as though the installation is working, but it reaches the "Finalizing installation..." and then says it did not install properly. It tells me to restart to remove any setup changes. I have tried Microsoft's suggestion to uncheck installing the updates and malicious software removal tool but it didn't work. What could be causing this? I have all other microsoft updates installed already, and can't figure out what i causing this. Thanks for any help folks. I appreciate your time.

Advertisements

imranxp

imranxp

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Try installing it in safe mode.

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Also try turing off all anti virus and protection software. If you are downloading it directly from Microsoft, I'm sure you are at a safe site.

eleasias

eleasias

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Yeah, I've turned off my anti-virus, with no results. I have tried installing it both through windows Update, and with the standalone executable downloaded from the Microsoft site.

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I had the same problem about a month ago. But I can't remember how I fixed it. Let me think about it for awhile. What IE version are you using now?

eleasias

eleasias

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
IE 6. I've also tried uninstalling IE 6 first, by going into Add/Remove Windows Components, but that didn't work either.

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
try starting xp without any startup items... then install..