Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD drive not working correctly

• Please log in to reply

Davey1

Davey1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm having problems with my Emprex 16x dvd drive, when I try to install a game with the instalation dvd drive light initially lights up indicating it's working but then it starts making all sorts of noises and simply wont install the games. I thought it might be the dvd drive knackered but when i put my GTR2 dvd in the drive it works fine but for most others it doesn't, not even for the windows xp disc. Even when I try to boot from the win xp disc on startup the same thing happens, it makes a terrible noise and it refuses to find the file for instalation.

The dvd drive is up to date with the latest firmware, what i don't understand is that it won't find the xp disc even before booting into windows, yet will install GTR2 dvd fine.

If I install dvd's from my external dvd drive then every disc works fine, just the internal one won't work.

Edited by Davey1, 10 August 2007 - 04:43 PM.

Advertisements

Davey1

Davey1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Could this be a macrovision or securom problem? It's just odd that the win xp instalation disc has the same problem when trying to boot from the cd on bootup, would macrovision or securom effect the drive before win xp loads? Im a bit reluctant to buy a new drive if macrovision or securom is the problem and obviously i can't reinstall the system if my xp disc wont boot.

Edited by Davey1, 11 August 2007 - 06:08 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi Davey1, welcome to Geeks to Go! It sounds like your DVD drive is faulty, and I haven't heard of Emprex brand before. The macrovision or securom wouldn't affect it if you can't use it before XP starts up (during BIOS/POST). Have you tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, just to be sure?

Otherwise it is reasonably cheap to replace it yourself, and pretty easy also if you are in any way technically inclined.

Davey1

Davey1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi ruthandtroy, thanks for the reply. Yes I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, I also reformated the hard drive. Reinstalled windows from the external hard drive, didn't relise there was an option in the bios to boot from an external usb drive so did it that way.

The dvd drive still didn't work although it could play ordinary cd and also dvd movies, but for some reason it wouldn't install dvd discs for the most part. The games Prey and Fear installed fine.

Perhaps just a coincidence, but at the time i was trying to remove securom and macrovision from the services menu and registry and also uaservice7 exe, I don't like having lots of processes running in the background, currently I have 44 processes not helped by aol,ati and soundblaster sticking a load of processes in, far too many for my liking.

Anyway I bought an LG dvd writer now and it works fine, Emprex drives were popular in the uk when i got it about 2 years ago but didn't notice any in pcworld today.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

Anyway I bought an LG dvd writer now and it works fine

That's great news! :whistling: