Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internal speakers not working

• Please log in to reply

linag

linag

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
hi!

i installed skype (www.skype.com) this afternoon and when i turned my computer back on, my speakers aren't working anymore! i uninstalled skype right away... i have a laptop with built in speakers that were working this afternoon. i have done the troubleshooter, updated drivers, etc. and if i plug in headphones, i hear sound!!

i am freaking out, please help!! thanks...

lina

:whistling:

Edited by linag, 10 August 2007 - 05:33 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to Control panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Volume. Check that Device Volume is at least halfway across the slider and that Mute is unchecked. Go to Advanced and make sure that nothing is mute. Go to Speaker Volume and set the sliders at least halfway across the slider. Go to Advanced, and in Speakers setup choose Laptop Stereo Speakers (if that's what you have). Go to Performance and choose Restore Defaults. Click Apply > OK.

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Hi, thanks! I have done all those things already (and did it again, just to be sure) and I still don't hear any sounds, except if I plug in head phones. Anything else I can try? I went through the trouble shooter and got through all of it without any progress. Thank you for helping... :whistling:

Lina

I also tried to update the drivers and went through every window under sound and audio devices, to make sure nothing was muted and I checked that the device was turned on/working properly. I restored all defaults, except checking "use only default devices". Should I try that?

Edited by linag, 11 August 2007 - 07:03 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried System Restore to a date before the installation of Skype?

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Well, I was going to try that, but for some odd reason my system restore was turned off!! I had a trojan not too long ago that required me to turn it off, but I can't imagine I would have forgotten to turn it back on, but I guess it's possible... Any other suggestions ?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you know how to perform recovery on your laptop? Could you write down the make and model?

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
no, i don't know how to do that. i'm fairly computer savvy, but this is kicking my butt. i have a dell inspiron 700m. can you walk me through it?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It seems that with Dell recovery means restoring the system to it's initial state which means that it erase all data and programs which, for all practical purposes, is another name for clear format. (as opposed to HP which gives you more options like "destructive" and "non-destructive" recovery).

I understand that you updated the audio driver already but I suggest that you try this again. Please download the driver from this link. Before the installation please uninstall the old driver and disable your antivirus.

I want to consult some other techs from the forum.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I take it you still have Skype installed. If so, it has Options to use Speakers or Headphones according to the FAQs at Skype. Try putting in a support ticket for help.

Ron

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
No, I uninstalled Skype. I will reinstall and see if I can get help from them. Thanks!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry. Reread OP and missed that you had uninstalled Skype. Signing op for Reading 101 again. LOL I would not do any recovery with a Dell Recovery disk yet. As The Skeptic mentioned, it will erase all your files and put your laptop back to the condition it was when you received it.

You mentioned ,
I restored all defaults, except checking "use only default devices". Should I try that?
. Which options do you have for sound in the drop down list? You also mentioned up-dating your drivers in post #1. Have you checked in Device Manager for any Yellow/Red indicators yet?

Ron

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
hey-

i'm on my work computer right now, but if i remember correctly, I only had the Sigma-Telwhatever option. :help:

i did check for the indicators (you mean conflicts?) and i didn't see any. i did try to update the driver, but it said i had the most recent one. should i erase it and re-download it?

this whole thing is so bizarre. i guess it could not be related to skype but it seems too much of a coincidence to not be related. i reinstalled skype to try to change the settings through skype (i went through all of them ... :whistling: ) and i put in a support ticket with them.

thanks (both of you!) for trying to help.

lina :blink:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you downloaded and installed the driver as The Skeptic suggested in #8? Didn't see an answer to that. Does the volume change, when using headphones, with the audio slider control? I'm hoping Skype didn't screw up a Registry value when it was uninstalled. I use Skype, but never had this problem. The only speaker problem I had with my Dell is they do cut off via the headphone jack when using headphones. A defective headphone jack may not reconnect speakers when headphones are removed. Do you have an external speaker jack which you could try using external speakers?

Ron

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
OK. I uninstalled the driver for SigmaTel Audio but it uninstalled the entire device... I am redownloading the drivers from the link provided. My computer just said "found new hardware". I will reboot in a minute. The device is showing up again in device manager so I guess that part worked. I also tried plugging in my desktop speakers (into the same jack as my headphones - the only one I found), and those speakers play system sounds just fine. But I don't have another jack to try. I'm going to reboot now and see if it works.

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
is it possible that i have some type of virus? should i post a HJT log?