Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internal speakers not working

• Please log in to reply

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
ok, here's what i got:

- headphone controls are working properly (up/down controls volume and mute works)
- i have checked all devices under sound in device manager, did the scan for hardware changes on each and attempted to update each driver
- in DM, when i go to view by connection the sigma-tel device is not listed
- i attempted to download the ich4 driver from the link orovided but the site is so overloaded with ads that i can't get to the downalod (it required me to download all these registry cleaner programs that i do not want to download).

should i try to unsinstall skype again? would it possibly change the registry key properly?

Advertisements

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
what irritates me about this is that i have had this computer for close to three years without any hardware problems so why would it suddenly happen now????

Edited by linag, 14 August 2007 - 04:33 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I'm still not convinced it is Skype related, but a 3 year laptop could be approaching some problems. They are more prone to overheating then most computers. I hope you will try to get the driver. Will see if there is another link when I get the time.

Ron

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
i couldn't get to the driver! every time i tried to download it, it would just give me a link to a registry cleaner (which i got as malware before from a trojan). unless i signed up for some software i couldn't get to the driver! plus, i updated the driver through the dm, wouldn't that be the same thing? or is that different? i'd be glad to try again. but i'm not sure it would be any different.

i really do appreciate your help!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I doubt if you need a driver other then the one you downloaded from Dell. If you downloaded and installed it successfully then I doubt if another source would do any difference. Keep away from sites that offer to download registry cleaners - or other programs, for that matter - before you are allowed to get a driver. It sounds very fishy to me.

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
should i try to reinstall windows again? couldn't it just install on top of what i have without having to uninstall my software, etc.? might be worth a shot?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What you suggest is a repair installation which was very easy and safe to perform with win 98 and is possible, with varying degree of success with XP. However, as far as I know, Dell offer only one mode of recovery, to factory settings, which entails complete eraze of data and program. Have a look at this link.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Whicj driver did you install as the ich4 driver is needed for the sound problem according to a search on the Dell site. It's available from Dell too. Maybe I'm just lost and missing something here.

Ine of these links did mention

There is a problem with the wires breaking in the 700

. They also have recommended what I did to try Dell's chat. They may fix this problem even out of warranty, but if you don't ask, you'll never know.

Ron

Ron

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

What you suggest is a repair installation which was very easy and safe to perform with win 98 and is possible, with varying degree of success with XP. However, as far as I know, Dell offer only one mode of recovery, to factory settings, which entails complete eraze of data and program. Have a look at this link.

Don't know if you can still get the Windows O/S install CD, but all I did was ask Dell to send it to me. I received all the Recovery and Diagnostic CDs with my new Dell, but not the actual Win XP CD. Requested it be sent by Dell Online Chat and it was.

Ron

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
ok, i think i got myself in trouble. i tried to reinstall xp and now the updates won't install. there's 80 of them. i redownloaded sp2, but the remainder of the updates won't install. i'm definitely going to ask dell about the wiring. i'm totally confused by the driver issue. i went into dm an chose update driver. got the message that driver couldn't be updated because i already have the newest one. i uninstalled the sigm-tel device and reinstalled it through the driver option. yikes. i suck...

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I'm confused about the driver you say you installed as I am not asking an install of the sigm-tel driver. Those links I gave, especially to the one with all the people having the same problem on the same laptop as yours, should show you more information. I just didn't have the time to go through each one. The audio problem search on Dell's site on the 700M also shows up as a problem with the ich4 driver.

Ron

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
i guess i didn't understand. i'll look at those links again.

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
OK! Problem solved. Its a bad wire. I went to one of those sites that told me to play some music and then slowly close the cover. Voila! Music magically appears as you are halfway down when the wires reconnect. So, now I just have to get to Dell with the issue or get it to someone who can fix the wires.

NOW, the real problem is that my 80 updates still won't install. So, I'm stuck with a three-years-ago version of XP, with no security updates and a nonfunctioning ie desktop icon (lord knows why). Can you help me with this??

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
So, at the end it was hardware. At least you found the source of the problem.

Are the updates downloaded and you cannot be installed? Look in Add/remove programs (check Show Updates) and see if you have microsoft installer 3.1. If you don't, download it first from microsofr.

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
yes, i installed microsoft installer 3.1. i downloaded the updates before i realized i didn't have sp2 (duh! after i like a [bleep] reinstalled xp from 2 1/2 years ago...). so i downloaded sp2 from a different source, installed it, and then tried again with the remaining downloads. they still won't install. i went in to add/remove programs thinking i could remove the downloaded updates and then redownload them, but b/c they weren't ever installed they don't show up in add/remove with the other updates. automatic updates suggests i try again or go through their troubleshooter, which doesn't work either. i think i have tried 8 times now!! arrggh! i just want to kick myself now!