Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Ultimate- OEM

• Please log in to reply

phatjo911

phatjo911

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I found a vista Ultimate on Tiger Direct for only $200. Why is it so cheap? Also, what is the difference between an OEM OS and a retail one?
here is the link- http://www.tigerdire...p?EdpNo=2864285

Also, can I use the DVD to install Vista on 2 Different Computers?
Also, what about when I need to re-install Vista. Would there be a problem?

Edited by phatjo911, 10 August 2007 - 09:49 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi phatjo911...

The basic difference between an OEM operating system and a Retail Version is this. The OEM version stays with the machine it is installed on. If you sell the machine, the operating system AND the installation cd go with it. A retail version stays with the purchaser and can be installed on a new machine...providing it is uninstalled on the previous machine. An OEM version is less expensive because you don't get to keep it and you usually (or are supposed to) have to purchase computer hardware in order to qualify for its purchase.

You may not legally install Vista, or any other version of Windows, on more than one machine without purchasing an additional license for it. You will be provided with one Product Key with each disk you purchase, whether OEM or Retail. Additional licenses for additional installations can be purchased from Microsoft. You can use a single disk to install on as many machines as you want...providing you have a valid license for each machine.

wannabe1

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Well, I'm going to be buying alot of things from Newegg, so say I bought the OEM version of Vista Ultimate with it. And after I installed it on my new PC, can I unistall it and install it on some other computer? So when I order the DVD, do I get the actual DVD?...... or what do I get?