Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cd/dvd rom drive missing!

• Please log in to reply

dancingdolphin

dancingdolphin

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi
My friend just bought a used computer (Compaq Armada E500 running Win98). When he tried to instal a usb mouse gps he ran into problems and gave me the computer in the hope I can fix it. Since rebooting his computer, I've found he's lost his "D" drive (cd/dvd) from "my computer". If booted in safe mode, device manager shows that the drive exists. However, no amount of uninstalling and reinstalling fixes the problem. Also, have an IRQ conflict on hard disk controller "primary intelR 82371AB/EB IDE controller". Think this is causing the problem, but not sure. Wish I knew what the friend did to cause this! Trying to locate the conflict, but not computer savvy enough to know how!

Also have checked that the drive is not broken.

Thanks
DancingDolphin

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
so the cd drive only shows up in device manager when you boot to safemode? and whats it say under device status while in the cd rom drive properties in device manager? also, exactly what does it say in device status for the ide controller?(make sure to include if it has an error Code in Status, ex. (Code 28)). And some quick things to try are open the pc and make sure the ide and power cables are securely connected to the drive. try disconnecting the cd-rom's ide and power cable then startup the pc without it connected then shutdown and reconnect the drive and startup, making sure that the bios recognises the cdrom and continuing to windows. unless you already tried these things.

dancingdolphin

dancingdolphin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi and Thanks

Yes, tried all that and still not getting anywhere. I rang the friend and asked if he objected to installing win xp - he said not at all - and that's what I did, upgraded to xp home and now all works fine. I think the problem was that his brand new mouse gps's software conflicted with the old win 98 and caused the problems. Anyway, the friend is happy now, and is planning to take his first cruise aboard his yacht soon, now that he has his electronic charting program and new gps up and running. He had 20 gig hard drive, so it wasn't a problem to instal xp.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Regards
DancingDolphin