Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player 11 is not working

• Please log in to reply

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I recently installed Windows Media Player because I don't usually watch videos on Winamp, and after it downloaded, the media player wouldn't work at all. I wanted to uninstall it, but I found out that it wasn't in the list of program files to uninstall in the control panel.

I'm just wondering too... if I uninstall Windows Media Player 11, will I be able to install again later?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Media Player 11 is built into Vista so there probably will not be any uninstall option for it.

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
So I should of never installed it or what?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Well, basically there should be no need to install something that's been there all along. So I'm not quite sure how you've managed to do that. :whistling:

Do you get any error messages with Media Player? In what way(s) is it "not working"?

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Neil Jones, I don't get any error messages. It just doesn't work after you double-click it.

Also, I did install it. When my computer was new, the Media Player prompted itself to install, but I didn't allow it. Only yesterday when I clicked on "Open with..." Windows Media Player prompted to install itself yet again.

There's no harm in keeping this and not using it, correct?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Well you can't really remove it from Vista so it shouldn't hurt anything.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
WMP 11 should be able to play musical CD's, but not video DVD's in your version of Vista.

This works for watching videos:
Media Player Classic. It's free and works with Vista

Look for MPC 6.4.9.0

Download here:
http://sourceforge.n...ackage_id=84358
Run as Administer and run in compatibility mode with XP SP2 (click on Properties to make sure).

Click "open DVD"... Put your DVD in and watch the movie :whistling:

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Jacee, I don't think I need a media player anymore. I am currently just using Winamp.