Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows XP update

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, I've recently formatted my computer and installed windows XP, (original software), and I can't update it through the site.

When I attempt to connect, they say they are checking for most recent updates and stuff, but after 10 minutes a page shows up saying that there was an error "0x80072EFF" and that the page requested can't be shown.

That error means that the servers are busy, as I read, usually after a few minutes or even hours it should be working again, but it's been days :/.

I've googled and I've searched on the microsoft website but without success. They say to deactivate the JIT java compiler and to install windows script 5.6.
I've done both and still get the same error.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I hope you can help me.
Thank you.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This error can be caused by Norton or installed firewall software.

It could also be caused by not having the latest Service Pack on the computer prior to visiting Windows Update.
If you do not have Service Pack 2 installed, please install it and try Windows Update again.

This error message also appears on Windows 2000.

Some things under XP to try here: