Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP overwrite

• Please log in to reply

SLG

SLG

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
A while back I was having problems getting my sound card to work after re installing windows xp on my laptop. I tried multiple downloads then someone suggested that I got windows to overwrite (without the CD this time) itself using a command.
I now have the same problem but can't find my old posts. Does anyone on here know how this is done...it work a treat last time

Regards

SLg

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Do you mean system restore

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

This article describes how to start the System Restore tool in Safe mode by using Command Prompt.

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt
Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Edited by peter99, 12 August 2007 - 08:57 AM.

SLG

SLG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

This article describes how to start the System Restore tool in Safe mode by using Command Prompt.

Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

thanks for taking the time

No it was a typed command which made the system overwrite but it fixed all soundcard problems (I downloaded and installed many dif)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
To find your own posts that has your answer, search by your own user name. See if this gets you there:

Your Posts

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 12 August 2007 - 09:38 AM.

SLG

SLG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

thanks for taking the time

No it was a typed command which made the system overwrite but it fixed all soundcard problems (I downloaded and installed many dif)

Thanks for that, but I already did that. I had a similar problem with my kids PC which went unresolved.

The thread I was referring to is not there (another forum? I thought not) however this gent mentioned that by typing this line in (I think it contained system/cabs etc.) windows would over write itself and, he doesn't know how it works but windows will overwrite and then repair itself, it worked!

Any idea's? Anyone?

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
With early version of windows I used to format the drive, create a folder on the dive and copy the cab files over then run setup from DOS. ie c:\win98\setup.exe

I’ve haven’t tried this with XP, only with win2000. the command for 2000/xp is winnt.exe not setup

ie c:\cabs\winnt.exe or where ever the cabs are.

the drives where formated useing fat32