Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

40GB Hard Drive Shows 2GB

• Please log in to reply

Tar

Tar

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello, I have a seagate 40GB hard drive. I had my computer partioned recently, and all my work/files cannot be acessed. Also, The hardrive only lists the total size as 1.99 GB. The file system is FAT. I've tried to search for the files on all my computers but, they still register 1.99GB.

Is there any possible way to acess the files?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Fat 16 only creates 2gig partitions

You might be able to retrieve the partition by using 3rd party software

Can be expensive or you could try something like hiren's boot cd 9.1

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
FAT/FAT16 is limited to a partition size of no more than 2GB - hence that's why your 40GB disk is reporting only 2GB total size. Whoever partitoned it for you has not done it right -- FAT/FAT 16 is never used nowadays, and certainly not for Windows XP. A 40GB disk is quite small by todays standards and should really be set up with just one partition occupying the total capacity of the disk using either FAT32 or, preferably, NTFS which is what most XP installations run on since it provides for a more stable system than FAT32.

As for accessing your files currently on the disk, I confess I've no idea.

Edited by pip22, 12 August 2007 - 01:35 PM.

Tar

Tar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for the replies, I Understand that in the world of tetrabyte hard drives that the 40 gb is a little small, but it did what i needed it to do.