Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ram upgrade

• Please log in to reply

syb388

syb388

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
i just installed a 1gig memory stick in an old computer which previously only had 256, now the computer only recognises 512 mb instead of 1 gig. The computer is a Compaq Presario SR1500NX running win. xp. and is upgradeable to 1 gig.
I came across this in the hp support site
"To find the amount of RAM per slot, divide the maximum amount of memory that the computer can hold with the number of memory slots on the motherboard"
the max for this pc is 1 gig and there are 2 slots so i guess thats why its only recognising 512mb, but I was wondering if there was anyway to force it to recognise and also if I decided to leave it at 512 could that pose any problems?
thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's possible that the board only supports two lots of 512Mb and will not talk to 1Gb sticks. The only resolution round this is to change the board.

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
yea i thought that, but I was wondering if leaving it at 512+256 could pose any problems, it seems to be running fine for now.

Kelly Wright

Kelly Wright

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I myself got a mobo with 4 slots supporting only 2 GB in total, so I can only stick in 4x512 modules. Gateway didn't update BIOS, while ASUS did :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Leave it as it is. If the computer runs well on 512+256 then that's fine. Nothing to worry about.

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
thanks, appreciate all the responses.

oldhippie100

oldhippie100

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the very same Computer and I have 1 gig in one slot and a 512 in the other and it works fine.and yes you can max out at 2 gig