Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista thinks Wireless receiver is on when it's off!

• Please log in to reply

Nick052

Nick052

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

I have a brand new laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium.

The laptop has Wi-fi capabilities, and there is a button to turn this off and on, with a corresponding LED to notify you. Also, when you press the button, you get a Windows pop-up box that says "Wireless LAN Wi-fi" with a check-box next to it. Pressing the button toggles the check-box off and on.

The issue I am having is that even if my wireless capability is supposed to be off (with the LED not lit and the box unchecked), Windows Vista can still connect to my home wireless network and I am still able to go on the internet!

Anyone any ideas why this is happening?

Edited by Nick052, 13 August 2007 - 09:10 AM.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Control Panel >Network and Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections. I believe you can disable the wirless connection from there.