Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1st time build! please critique!

• Please log in to reply

onedoller

onedoller

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi. This is my first time building, and I am just wondering if there is anything I could do better or if there are any problems. Here is the list,

Mobo

processor

case

hard drive

power supply

Heat sink/fan

graphics card

cd/dvd

RAM

Thanks.

P.S. My hardrive uses a SATA connector, even though my mother board has SATA connectors will I still need a SATA controller card?

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi,

It seems like your going with an old socket Mobo and system. I would like to know your budget so I can update your build to an AM2 instead of a 939 socket system. I would recommend going with intel because their prices just went down some more.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 12 August 2007 - 07:28 PM.

onedoller

onedoller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
My budget is pretty low. I am trying to keep it under or around $500, which is why I picket the socket 939 and mobo because they were cheap. Just curious is intel really better the AMD? Thanks!

Edited by onedoller, 12 August 2007 - 08:11 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

P.S. My hardrive uses a SATA connector, even though my mother board has SATA connectors will I still need a SATA controller card?

NO

Hi there onedoller, I agree with SOORENA there, we should at least upgrade this to the AM2 socket (processor) and a motherboard that supports AM2 processors and DDR2 RAM.

Biostar and Rosewill aren't very good brands, you would be better off going with something like my suggestions below.

Antec PSU (has good rebate!)
HIS Graphics Card (also good rebate!)
OCZ RAM (memory)
AMD processor (AM2 socket)
Gigabyte Motherboard (AM2 socket and DDR2 support)

Things I haven't suggested then you can just keep your original ones. Mind you, the graphics card I have suggested is still very basic. What purposes do you want this system for? It won't be a very good games computer, but for general office work (net, word, printing) it will be great. Have you forgot about an OS or do you already have one?

onedoller

onedoller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks. I guess there really isn't much of a difference in price. :whistling:. I am not really a hardcore gamer, but I would like it to be able to run games like Microsoft flight simulator, and Age of Empires III pretty well. The minimum video card requirments are only 32mb and 64mb of memory, but if I need to spend more money to play those, I think I would be willing. And will I be able to overclock with that board?

For the operating system I was thinking Windows XP professional because all I would have on it would be windows ME otherwise, but I have heard Vista slows the performance of the computer, and they are expensive. Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

P.S. I might not be able to post Monday-Sunday because of vacation, I might be able to find a hotspot though.

Edited by onedoller, 12 August 2007 - 08:47 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Vista only slows down your system if you are trying to use it on an old computer or one with slower components. If you set up the computer right, it is a very good operating system. I'm guessing that the card I have suggested would be sufficient, but personally I wouldn't go anything less than a 7600GT - which would be more expensive. This would give better performance though - obviously!

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130062

EVGA is a very good brand and this currently has a rebate, making it a good deal.

onedoller

onedoller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks, I think I will go with that video card instead. Now my only problem with vista is the price....but i guess i can't really do anything about that. Thanks alot for your help!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Pricing, the only problem I have with Windows in general... :whistling:

If you are going with Vista, I strongly recommend 2GB RAM, awesome rebate (grab it quick!) and the rest of the system:
EVGA Graphics Card $74.99
Gigabyte motherboard $84.99
AMD processor $65.99
OCZ RAM 2GB $56.99
Antec PSU $69.99
LiteON DVD/CD-RW $17.99 (are you sure you don't want a DVD Burner?)
Western Digital SATA HDD 320GB $74.99
XION Case $39.99

Comes to a total of $485.92 (this is after all rebates at time of this post). $597.91 with Vista (below)
Add Vista Home Premium $111.99

Okay sure it's a little bit over, but that's going to be a great system for you!

onedoller

onedoller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thank you so much ruthandtroy! You have been very helpful. Yes I do want a DVD burner. :whistling: Thanks alot! And I guess I will go with Vista if it really won't slow it down that much :blink:. Thanks.

Edited by onedoller, 13 August 2007 - 09:36 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
This is a LiteON DVD burner, they are cheap and do the job well for their price. I have not got one of these, but I have heard that they can be a little on the noisy side. For a few dollars more, the Pioneer (I have one of these) is an excellent burner also but I have found it to be quiet.

And no worries, you're welcome :whistling:

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
If you care about looks THIS case is on sale for $69.00 and it is full tower too which will be bigger. On the other hand everything else looks to be alright. Also THIS is a cheap DX10 card but its a little slow, it should be good for the games you suggested and it will support future games. Or if you have a bit more you can go with THIS one, which is a little faster.

Soorena

onedoller

onedoller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks I think I'll just go with the the cheap DX10 card, but I don't think I have enough room for a full tower case. :whistling:. Thanks Soorena!