Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard vs screensaver

• Please log in to reply

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have a user here who's running Win2k on a Dell optiplex gx115 w/dell keyboard. All functions seem to be normal except that the keyboard does not function when the machine is in screensaver mode. It works fine once the mouse is jogged to stop the screensaver, but can't be used to stop it.
The screensavers are all standard windows ones, not downloads except for a Groupwise Screensaver from Novell which needs the keyboard to function for it to be useful. No other malfunctions have been detected. Does anyone have an idea where the problem might be?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
USB or ps2 keyboard?

rrush

rrush

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
PS2 keyboard. Also, I tried switching keyboards. The problem is in the OS somewhere.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are you using the integrated video or did you add a second video adapter

rrush

rrush

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Integrated Video

rrush

rrush

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
bump

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
What BIOS version is on this machine?

Among other things, the a04 release:
BIOS: Dell OptiPlex System BIOS, English, OptiPlex GX115, A04
Fixes various sleep/wake-up issues in ACPI.

rrush

rrush

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Bios is A03. Need to check this box again though. When logged on as administrator, keyboard worked normal. User was gone for the day so need to check tomorrow and try to pin down the setting that's causing it to not work for him.

rrush

rrush

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Let's consider this closed. The problem only seems to show up in this one user's profile. I'm still not sure which setting isn't right, but he has larger problems with his profile to deal with right now anyway, and I suspect when we get that all cleared up, the keyboard will behave.

Thanks for the help!!!