Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Twunk_16.exe Error

• Please log in to reply

malsop

malsop

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Installed Vista 64 Ultimate twice, clean install on a new Intel D975XBX2 MB w/ Core 2 Quad and 8 GB RAM.

On second install all of the issues with updated BIOS and memory timings worked out so no BSODs. I was also rebooting after each app was installed in order to isolate what caused this (and other) errors that came up in the first pass at installing Vista on this machine.

The error is:

---
Unsupported 16-Bit Application
The program or feature"\??\C:\Windows\Twunk_16.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.
---

It occurs during the (extended) user login (after entering password, while Vista applies all the user settings).

Sometimes it does not occur but most times it does (login after a logout, reboot or cold boot).

The first instance occurred after installing Adobe CS3 and Lightroom (I did not reboot between these installations but did reboot just before and just after).

Since the error does not always show up it is possible that something installed before CS3 and/or Lightroom caused the problem.

None of the Startup or HKLM/HKCU run items cause this (unless it is something like the Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer service) because it will occur when everything possible is removed from these places.

This is one of the last two issues that still exist for this new and rather spectacular computer build I put together over the last month.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I found two things that might be related. First is this error seems to occur as a result of a twain driver conflict.

The other stems from Lightroom. This is what adobe had to say: http://kb.adobe.com/...n...2&sliceId=1

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Do you have a camera hooked up to your PC? If you do, the drivers may not be compatible with 64bit.

malsop

malsop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I found two things that might be related. First is this error seems to occur as a result of a twain driver conflict.

Yes, and some research indicates that it is the Twunk_32 that is calling the Twunk_16, and that TWAIN drivers are involved, but that is shaky info from one web source. Both of the Twunk exe files are Microsoft files. I'm wondering if some application (or more likely a service) is calling Twunk_16 directly.

Note that the WIA TWAIN drivers from Canon were not installed until after this error started appearing at login.

The HP 'basic' scanjet 4570c driver for Vista 64 was installed prior the appearance of this error. However there were several reboots after installing the HP driver and prior to installing CS3 and LR 1.1 without the appearance of this error message at login.

BTW this HP 'basic' Vista 64 driver is perfect since Vista and Office provide all of the 'extended' features HP usually includes in the HP 'full' driver package, even the Copy button on the scanner initiates a copy operation.

The other stems from Lightroom. This is what adobe had to say: http://kb.adobe.com/...n...2&sliceId=1

1) I have already read this page and verified that the local system and drivers are compatible.

2) This page is for errors when Lightroom 1.0 is running... on this system Lightroom 1.1 runs without errors, I realize I forgot to include the LR version in my first post.

3) This page was written for LR 1.0 but LR 1.1 is installed on the local system and Adobe did a lot of fix'n in LR 1.1.

Thanks for your response, any other ideas?

malsop

malsop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Do you have a camera hooked up to your PC? If you do, the drivers may not be compatible with 64bit.

No, no PC cam and neither of my Canon bodies were attached to this computer at any time prior to the appearance of this error message.

Canon's Vista 64 support is still limited. DPP and Zoombrowser work very well, EOS utility for Vista 32 installs and runs without raising any errors but will not provide any functionality, options are simply grayed out. No surprise since Canon clearly states on the download page that the Vista version of the EOS utility will only run on Vista 32. Thought I'd give the Vista 64 compatibility box a shot at this but no bannas there.

Thanks for the replay, any more thoughts?

PS: Note that the Canon software was not installed until after this error started appearing.

Edited by malsop, 13 August 2007 - 09:51 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
check the event log for coresponding entries.

malsop

malsop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

check the event log for coresponding entries.

I did this a couple of time before, did it again just now, don't see any relevant entries, cleared the logs so they will all start 'now' maybe that will help isolate a correlation.

There was nothing in the application or system log that could be tied to the Twunk error, the only thing close was an ntfs 136 error but that happens rarely, about once every two or three days, I'd like to know what causes the 136 error too. The Twunk error is more often than once every two or three days, every login recently.

Windows7puter

Windows7puter

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I found something that stops the error.
Goto
My computer
C drive
Windows
Scroll down to "twunk 32 and twunk 16"
If you get the error, incompatibility with your version of windows, this should work:
Rename the twunk 16 to
Twunk161
Also rename the twunk 32 to twunk 16. Reopen the program that gave you the error and it should be hidden.( for me it's Epson scan)
Not sure this fixes anything but it hides the error.
Let me know how it goes.
M