Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maximum Resolution

• Please log in to reply

jlmorgan

jlmorgan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Quick question, I'm shopping around for graphics cards at the moment.

Does the Maximum Resolution quoted on graphics cards refer to each individual monitor, or the total number of pixels on all monitors connected to that card?

So if I had 2 monitors connected to 1 card, would that mean the total resolution of the 2 screens cannot add up to more than the max?

I am looking to add a larger, maybe 22" TFT to my PC, and keep my 17" TFT on the side, still connected. The larger monitor would be running at 1600 x 1050 ish res, and the 17" at 1280 x 1024. Anyone see any problems with this on my current NVideo graphics card, don't remember the make or which GPU it has, but its about 2 years old and has 256Mb memory and is connected to PCI Express slot.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well it would be nice to know the exact card. Like is it an Nvidia 7600 GS or something.
Also what are you doing, are you using or planning to upgrade to Vista? I think you will be fine but tell me the card you have and I could confirm that you are ok.

The max resolution is for each individual screen.

PS: I am not an expert on running dual monitors but I have used it and found it to be just annoying.

Edited by jackflash1991, 14 August 2007 - 10:32 PM.

jlmorgan

jlmorgan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The graphics card is an Asus EN6600 Geforce 6600 256Mb.

Basically at the moment I have 2x 17" TFTs, and I love the dual monitor thing, but am getting to really want a bigger screen. So, to not waste both the 17"s, I thought of replacing one with a 22" TFT, and keep the other 17" running as a side screen for emails or iTunes or something.

Resolutions would be 1680*1050 on the larger screen, and 1280*1024 on the 17.

I did originally think about going for 2x 22" screens, but came to my senses!

I am currently using Vista HP 64bit.

Edited by jlmorgan, 17 August 2007 - 02:31 AM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Ok so I think you need a better card. And I do belive the added up totals is the max. So 1600x1050 + 1280x1024= 2,990,720. So get a card that when you multiply the resolution together you get something higher then 2,990,720. Probably something with 320mb or even 512mb. An easy trick is the more MBs the larger the resolution usually.