Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help - Windows XP Repair Install

• Please log in to reply

dmoody07

dmoody07

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Recently I bought a new barebone system with much faster cpu/motherboard etc. (Intel Quad Core 2.4Ghz Q6600) and to avoid having to do a complete fresh install of my retail version of XP I cloned my old C: drive using Acronis True Image 10. No problems with all of that - (temporarily put the new drive in the old computer in place of original drive and everything worked perfectly)

So I then installed the new, cloned drive in the new computer, carefully reviewed all bios settings, and began a repair install of XP. Carefully selected "repair without repair console", "repair existing XP inststallation" etc. Setup proceeds to load intial files and reboots to Windows XP opening screen, continues with setup until it starts to load devices (green bar at bottom of screen) at which point the screen goes black and error message appears saying setup has encountered a problem......

Message says to remove any new hardware - I've done that except, of course, I can't remove the new cpu, motherboard, or video card or I won't be able to do anything. (everything else has been removed or disconnected) The message suggests rebooting to safe mode but when I try that I get a scrolling list of drivers at which point everything stops and nothing will work until I power off the computer and start over. Anyone have any idea what I'm missing or how I should proceed.

Thanks

Advertisements