Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard Died Please Help

• Please log in to reply

benwah333

benwah333

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay I had a Dell 4400 and the motherboard went up so I was going to buy a replacement. The replacement is 200 bucks and everytime I called they were out of stock. I got fed up and decided to finally upgrade and get a really nice laptop which I did.

I have a problem I originally had 2 HD's an 80 gig and a 40 gig. The 80 gig was just storage so transfering those files will be no problem. The 40 gig had the OS on it and it also has a a good amount of files I want. I cant get to the HD cause I had put a passowrd on my windows XP log on. Does anyone here know how to bypass that so I can access the 40 gig through another computer?

Advertisements

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Add the Drive to another PC as a Slave on IDE0 or a master or slave on IDE1 and access the files from the Op Sys on the boot drive.

Your Dell can be salvaged with ANY compatible mainboard, it doesn't have to be a Dell. Also, you'll probly find one for around $50 or less.

BlueGlowBoy

BlueGlowBoy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Your Dell can be salvaged with ANY compatible mainboard, it doesn't have to be a Dell.  Also, you'll probly find one for around $50 or less.

View Post

Unfortunatly that is not the case with the 4400 and many other Dells. The front panel (ie. Power button and light, Reset, HDD LED, etc.) is one solid header. If you can find a board to fit it properly, good on you! Unfortunately, most if not all Dell mainboards are manufactured by Intel, and the series is done spicifically for Dell. You cannot aquire these boards from Intel or Intel resellers. You might be able to find some used on Ebay or a local shop, but I have so far been unsuccessful myself. If you find one, or two, let me know. I have a customer who has given Dell her money and they cannot find any boards to ship to her...Now that's what I call vapourware!

BGB

Edited by BlueGlowBoy, 25 April 2005 - 12:52 PM.

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Exactly!

As soon as you buy ANY mainboard that matches your CPU, your long suffering PC ceases to be a "DELL". (Thank Heavens!)

The front panel connector supplies the power on and reset signals. they are pins on the mainboard and can be actuated with a simple quick shorting with a screwdriver! I'm not sure exactly what your particular one looks like, but they can be easily wired, sometimes you have to cut the block connector carefully into individual sections (if possible) with a sharp tool and then wire the new board in. Or simply cut the wires and crimp or splice new or second hand connectors.
The power light and HDD light are optional, but nice to have, and are done the same way.

As long as it fits the old case physically that is. A new case with power supply and front panel connectors costs about $40 at any decent PC parts supplier if the new board doesn't fit the old Dell case. Of course you could go with a fancy Antec case or such, but despite all the "Hoo Ha" over fancy cases, my whole life I've used "el cheapo" cases and PSU's with no probs as long as they are rated at 450w or above. (the cheap cases rated at 450w are mostly good for 350w continuous.)

Use a normal WinXP disc to install windows and the new mainboard's install disk for the correct drivers. Finally an end to that evil restore disk from Dell!

What Dell and others of the genre have done is to take away the standardisation of ATX PC's and create "FREAK" PC's so that you have to soley rely on them. They did it very simply by having mainboard manufacturers do "special" production runs for them, which are rarely traceable through normal channels, and certainly difficult to find information on them. They also use custom bios for these freaks as well, and that bios support is modified in a way that makes things difficult for technicians as well.

I make no bones about my dislike for what Dell and others have done to the world's PC users. They have managed to capture the major market share and confused the PC users of the world, keeping them ignorant of the facts and making non standard PC's that need and rely on their over-priced and inadequate support network.

Their whole success story is based on this trickery and mass market confusion. As long as the majority keep buying their products, the longer they will continue this reign of terror!

If you got sucked into buying one, dump their "el cheapo" and nasty, usually-something-substandard-mainboard/chipset and get a decent one if you have the time and knowledge.

I hate Dell. UN - DELL IT ! :tazz:

PS. Dell don't just use Intel mainboard's. They will get board's produced from the cheapest source, regardless of manufacturer. It's up to Dell as to what chipset they are willing to pay for and up to the different board manufacturers as to what they can do to reduce costs to be competitive enough for Dell's contract.

Edited by Congo, 26 April 2005 - 08:27 PM.