Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking about building, but would like some answers

• Please log in to reply

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I am in the need for a new computer for my home. I will be doing basic stuff. Spreadsheet, internet, educational software, burning dvds, image editing.

I have always wanted to build my own computer but have never done it. I don't know exactly what or where to buy.

Would you even recommend me building my own or would you tell me to just go buy one already built?

Please let me know and if you say build it then I need to know what to order and where. What software will I need to get the computer to working.

Is there a good step by step somewhere on how to build your own computer?

Please give me your advice.

Thanks
Waynesworld

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Waynesworld, if you are quite technically-able to do stuff, then you can build your own computer. It's fairly simple, you just need to take it easy and be patient.

For the needs you have, you wouldn't need to go spending too much money. Can you give us some idea of a budget?

To build a computer, you will need the following components:

Case
Power Supply
Motherboard
Video Card (may be integrated onto the motherboard)
Processor
RAM (memory)
Hard Drive
Optical Drive (DVD Burner)

As well as an operating system, you can purchase Windows (Vista is the newest OS from Microsoft), or you can download and install a free version of Linux (such as Ubuntu). Also you would need to add to that a keyboard, mouse, and a monitor (and perhaps speakers). Usually we just recommend to buy the products online at a place like www.newegg.com (if you are in America - if not, where are you?) as they give pretty cheap component prices.

Cheers! :whistling:

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Budget would be 500 - 600
I am from Mississippi

Thank you for answering.

Which I would think that I will need some type of step by step instructions since I have never done this before nor have I ever watched someone do it.

On some of the computers that I own I have added; memory, a second hard drive, cd drive, zip drive.

Thanks
Waynesworld

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
If you have never built a computer before, I wouldn't recommend building your own untill you have had some practice, as its easy to make costly and hazardous mistakes.
I would recommend building an older cheaper computer and learn to identify each part, what they do, and how they connect. Buy one from a thrift store or one that someone is throwing away.
Where I live (Australia) there is short inexpensive courses you can do in system building.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

On some of the computers that I own I have added; memory, a second hard drive, cd drive, zip drive

sarahw's point is one to consider, of course. If you felt comfortable doing the above, then there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to put one of your own together. I do think it's a good idea to practise on an old one, as even though some of the parts may be a little different, the general idea will be the same. Just unscrew everything, pull it apart and spread it around on the table, then identify each part and work the computer back together again.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok I found 2 videos on youtube that should help you:

and the second part

Those should give you a bid of what to do and also there are others that you should look into. I would suggest getting a Video Card that has lots of memory because of the image editing and you will need at least 2 Gigs of ram. You don't need the best Motherboard because you are just going to have a basic system, also I would guess you need lots of Hard drive space for encoding and all that. I have made a basic computer and here are the links:

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-05 - $35.99

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD403LJ 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $84.99

GECUBE HM165G2-E3® Radeon X1650 1G(512MB on Board) 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Supported Video Card - $99.99 + ($25.00 MAIL-IN REBATE)

OCZ Vista Upgrade 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model - $91.99 + ($30.00 MAIL-IN REBATE)

MSI P965 Neo-F LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - $84.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz LGA 775 Processor - $146.00

COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 500W Power Supply - $89.98

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Black /Blue Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - COMBO WITH POWER SUPPLY

Thats all except for a OS I don't know what your going with so let me know and I will find you one. That all comes to $578.93 with all the mail in rebates. If you get more money I would suggest going with a better CPU than the one I suggested, if you could get THIS it would be much better.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 16 August 2007 - 08:34 AM.

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I do feel pretty comfortably as for as actually putting all the hardware together. My big concern is what do you do once you get all the hardware installed. Do you just install windows and bamm your thru or do you have to run other software in order to get all the settings such as BIOS etc.....

I dont know that is for sure.

What about this system as for as just purchasing one vs building one.
hxxp://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?CS=19&kc=19&oc=DDCWDA3
Didn't know if I could post live link therefore I put hxxp instead of http.

Configure the Inspiron 530 Desktop with 2.2GHz CPU and 22" E228WFP LCD to reach $999 - $350 code GLC6C8PP?Q4TT5 [Exp 8/30] = $649 with free shipping.

Thanks
Waynesworld

Edited by Waynesworld, 16 August 2007 - 09:24 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
System building is a nice hobby. I would definatly recommend it over a pre-built. You control the quality of every part that goes into your PC whereas Dell will most likely short you by giving you limited expansion room, a shakey PSU, and value series RAM. For office use a pre-built will do just as well as a custom rig. If you are looking to play some games then you should definatly look into building your own rig.

You can always adjust the BIOS as you like but it is not required. If anything the boot order will need to be changed to put your CD drive first. After that you just boot with the Windows disk and it is much like installing something inside of Windows. Once the computer is up and running you will want to install your drivers for your hardware which usually comes with your MOBO unless you purchased OEM.

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I will not be doing any gaming. I will be doing the items mentioned in an earlier post.

I would like to have yall's suggestions on which parts to buy and where. I will also need a flat screen monitor. I will order it and attempt to do this. I have been wanting to for years.

Thanks
Waynesworld

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Just some comments on SOORENA's post:

If you don't need LightScribe in your DVD Burner, you can get a Pioneer for cheaper - I have this and it's an excellent burner.

If you don't need a full 400GB, you could downgrade to the 320GB here and save a few extra dollars. I would probably hang on to the 400GB, though.

If you're not playing games at all, I would even just settle for a motherboard with onboard graphics. You can always add a graphics card down the track if you change your mind.

Lastly, no OS is included in that build, so would you be happy to add on the price of it, or do you want us to re-work the prices (and components) to include it?

1NICE

1NICE

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Building computer isn't hard.

The various hardware will come with fairly good instructions, and it is also easy to follow.

Extremetech also has very good how-tos;

http://www.extremete...5,644478,00.asp

Scroll down to the "STEP-BY-STEP HOW TO"
They are all quite good.