Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't log into SBS 2003 domain

• Please log in to reply

pip182

pip182

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi all, I hope someone can help me with a little problem.

Our work network is running XP Pro workstations on a Windows SBS 2003 server. Recently, a few members of staff left and their accounts were removed from the domain. Of their PCs, two can now no longer log onto the domain. The domain name appears in the logon dialogue box but it just says that the domain is not available.

One of the administrator accounts can still log onto the laptops using the domain, but the laptop won't connect to the network - I presume that the account is a local one set up when the user logs on, but it seems that the network won't assign the PC an IP address and I can't see it from any of the other PCs. The units won't ping the server or anything else on the network for that matter.

I'm pretty sure the hardware is fine but I've got no real experience of using SBS apart from adding users and really basic maintenance. Keeping this in mind, is there a good reason that this would have happened and is there a quick, easy and painless way to fix it?

Cheers,

Phil

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Did you try to unjoin the computer from the domain and then rejoin? Seems to fix it for me quite often.

pip182

pip182

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well, I tried that on one of them but now there are effectively two problems. It seems that the DHCP server isn't working properly. I gave one of the laptops a static IP and it can connect again, but obviously that doesn't fix the overall problem of the server not allocating IPs.

The other problem is that the PC i removed from the domain will no longer connect even with a static IP. When i try to rejoin it it just says that the computer is already a member of that domain and won't let me log in on the network.