Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yahoo Voice Chat error, Connection error

• Please log in to reply

ladybelle

ladybelle

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I went to chat with a friend in Yahoo IM, and they said my voice sounded super duper slow, like a monster.

It doesn't work for long and I get a message "Voice chat error, Connection error, Connection to Yahoo Voice Chat Failed"

I'm only behind one firewall, and I turned it off, and the problem is still there.

I dont use a proxy, even though I dont know what that is, I have regular dial up service.

I used the Yahoo Voice Check, and my computers Sound Check and it says its working OK.

I have a recording program on my computer and I have recorded several things on it, with no problems.

I dont think there is anything wrong with my mic.

I dont think anything is wrong with my sound card.

I've tried on several different days, so I dont think its the servers.

I think its something to do with a configuration on my computer, and I need to know how to fix it.

Yahoo says my firewall must permit outgoing TCP connections to vc.yahoo.com on ports 5000 and 5001.

Then another Yahoo Help page says voice chat will work if either 5050, 443, and 80 ports are open.

I have Norton Internet Security 2007, and I have no idea how to check these ports and change them if need be.

I instant chatted with Norton and they were little to no help at all, and told me that if Yahoo Voice Chat was not working with the firewall off, then it was not a Norton Issue.

This is all the info I have.

If someone could walk me through this I'd really appreciate it a bunch.

Thanks in advance.

~Ladybelle~

Advertisements

ladybelle

ladybelle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Do TCP connections only apply when your behind a Firewall?

And, could this problem be due to my slow dial up connection, I get 24 kbps.

I had this problem years ago on this same computer, with slow dial up. Someone helped me figure out what was wrong, and I fixed it, but I have since forgot how I did it.

Any suggestions? Please Help!

~Ladybelle~