Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with TCP/IP, Please help!

• Please log in to reply

Urple

Urple

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, everybody. I've been having some troubles with my main computer, one big problem has been that my computer has no internet, probably for the same reason that I apparently have no IP address. But I don't know what that reason is.

My computer believes that it is connected to a local area network (at 100.0 Mbps), but no packages are being transferred, and no programs are able to access the internet. I tried a network repair, which resulted in an error claiming that it was unable to query my TCP/IP settings. I tried a system restore, many times from different dates, but no settings were changed as it was unable to restore to any system restore points. I tried running IPCONFIG, but 'an internal error occurred' as 'the request is not supported', and it was 'unable to query the host name'. I tried right-clicking 'install' on nettcpip.inf, didn't work. I tried refreshing my TCP/IP settings, didn't work. I checked my network card, but it claims to be working properly. What could this be?

Oh, and my computer has slowed to a crawl gradually during the past 4 months or so. It now takes minutes to highlight, press, and open the Start menu. Makes fixing it all the more difficult, not to mention any programs I wish to run. I have tried getting more RAM, cutting my graphics' quality, cleaned and de-fragged my hard drive many times, removed any and all programs that I don't use on a regular basis, cleaned my registry, made sure I'm using NTFS, and attempted to optimize performance. None of this has seemed to speed up my computer, and its reaction time continues to lengthen. I don't know what else to try...

Could somebody please help me?

Edited by Urple, 14 August 2007 - 05:04 PM.

Advertisements

Urple

Urple

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Update: Nothing has changed. I called shaw tech support, they told me to do the same things I had done before (refresh TCP/IP settings, try system restore) and they had the same result.

The tech support guy said he had never seen an error like the one I get when I try IPCONFIG, which does not sound good.

What could this possibly be? How in the world can I fix this?

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Did you try to reset your winsock with this command: netsh winsock reset

Urple

Urple

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
@cmw2010: No, I hadn't tried that yet. I have now, and it said that it was successful. However, some weird warning came up, saying something about how it couldn't work properly as I had no hardware or something.

When I go into device manager from my system properties, the window is blank.

Trying to open the Add Hardware wizard, as well as the Network Connection wizard, doesn't even bring up a window.

I was required to activate windows when I restarted the computer, and since I have no internet on the computer I had to do it over the phone

Does anybody recognize what is going on here? How do I Fix it?

Edited by Urple, 15 August 2007 - 09:39 PM.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
when you open the network connections folder whats listed?...that 100mbps sounds like a 1394 which is a firewire connection. is that the only thing listed as being connected? how do you normally connect? cable? dsl? phone?

Urple

Urple

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
@krmoo: I use a LAN cable connection. When I open the network connections folder, it shows my LAN connection, and claims that it is working.

I recently tried to re-install windows. Or something. After that, my computer wouldn't boot up except in safe mode. So I took it to this custom-computer place, and they said that I had some corrupted Windows files or something, which apparently explains all of the problems I've had with my compy.

Coooool....

Now my computer works fine, so they say, and I'll be getting it back today. Hooray! <-LOL it rhymes!

Geeks to the rescue, yet again!