Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Movie Maker

• Please log in to reply

vicious_h3art

vicious_h3art

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have one continues stream of video. I want to turn it into segments or clips so I can edit parts out. Does anyone know how to do this?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Play the movie in the preview area to your right. When you want to cut or split the movie from that point, press the pause button, and then click on the button to the far right of that. You will see one that shows a piece of film being split and one that says Take a Picture. Click on the one that shows the film being cut. This is the splice button, and does exactly what you need it to do. Ask if you have any questions :whistling:

TIP: Put your mouse over the button you are about to click on to see a description.

vicious_h3art

vicious_h3art

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok great! Thank you, and when I do that will there be a delete button somewhere to cut a clip out?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
That's correct. I'll give you an example on how it works...

You have your movie all in one piece. Now, in the beginning, you gave whoever was speaking in the film a countdown. You would of course want to get rid of you saying 3, 2, 1 in the beginning, right? So what you do is make the splice right after you count, but still before the person has said anything. Now, you will have two clips in your storyboard/storyline. Delete the one that has your countdown. You can now move the good part of the movie to the left using "Drag and Drop", and whala! Look at your movie now! You just cut out the countdown, and the movie starts right where you wanted! You can also do this in the middle of the film, just make sure to make a "splice" on both ends of the part you want to cut, this way you have three slides, and you can delete the slide in the middle, which is the part you want gone.

It's a little hard to explain, but I hope it helped you. Let me know if you need any more help!

vicious_h3art

vicious_h3art

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Yay! Your instructions were great! The only problem is getting it paused exactly where I want lol. Thanks for all your help. I may post back soon with audio questions. If I haven't replied in 2 days you can delete. Thanks for all of your help. I love geeks!

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Glad I could help you :whistling:

Here's a tip for finding that one spot on the film... Trust me, I used to do a lot of this, I know exactly what you're having trouble with... Have a look below...

TIP: When you have your storyboard view (default view) in front of you, you see boxes, right? It's almost impossible to always splice in the right place by relying on the pause button to stop in the right place. Sometimes I'd have to do it about five times to make it work... Here's how to fix that...

(1) Click on the Show Timeline button located just above the storyboard boxes.
(2) You now have an arrow of a sort which will move as the movie plays. This shows you exactly where you are.
(3) See where it has the seconds listed? If you click on that board, the arrow will move, pointing exactly where you need to be. Of course, if you have a lot of video or a small screen, then that doesn't seem very effective, does it? We'll soon fix that...
(4) Look above the Timeline, and click on the magnifying glass which has the plus (+) sign inside. Your view of the clip just got bigger. Guess what, this just made it a hundred times easier to find your splicing point! If you pass that point with the pause button, just drag that arrow a little, and there you go! Perfecto!

Keep in touch with us, and let us know if we can help you in any other way :blink:

vicious_h3art

vicious_h3art

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
thanx. my video turned out great, after i took all the ugly parts out and added the audio.