Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp pro no icons or taskbars, only wallpaper

• Please log in to reply

ptiam1

ptiam1

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, my problem started with a sudden inability to get on the internet after a power surge and outage,( I do have a battery backup and surge protector).

When I attempted to fix the problem with network wizard, I got the following message:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Failed to query TCP/IP setting of the connections. Cannot proceed, for assistance, contact the person who manages pour network(ME!).

I have a router connected to my computer with a usb line and am on wireless for the wifes' laptop. I have had this setup for over a year with no problems.

I have a Dell 4600 dimension.

I first contacted Comcast, figuring the problem was there, but after an hour os so, they said I needed to contact Dell.

After 2 weeks and numerous hours with 2 good Dell techs, ( & 2 I couldn't understand), They said my xp was corrupted and all the fixes we tried did not work. They suggested I copy everything to an external hard drive, so I got one from Best Buy and formatted it.

But, all of a sudden I lost all my desktop icons and taskbars. I can only use computer by calling the task manager.

I have searched on many sites and found that this problem has been around since at least 2002, but was unable to find a fix.

Is there any way to still copy all my pictures of family and many other valuable, (to me), information before I reformatt the hard drive?

By the way, I am registered with this forum with [email protected], but am not able to access right now, so please respond to my wifes' account at [email protected].

Thanks!!

ptiam1

P.S., I dont know how to post a Hijack this logfile or to even run it.

Edited by ptiam1, 17 August 2007 - 06:34 AM.

Advertisements