Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP NEEDED. 3D Graphix Driver issue.

• Please log in to reply

HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud

• Pip
  • 7 posts
So...I had just got this game called Silk Road, well, downloaded it, I run it, install it...yada yada. I then find a problem as it starts up, something about the text in all of the buttons on the game were like random squares. So, naturally, I exited the game cause I had no idea what any buttons were saying, and I head to the website of the game, and go to the forum section to see if anyone had similar errors. They did, and it was actually made sticky on their site. So I followed the procedure, but something caught my eye just as I was about to leave the site to do the procedure...there was a list of "Updated" drivers for GeForce users. Of course I say to myself, that maybe I should download the one for XP because it might make my game run smoother. Wrong. Very wrong.

So I download the driver, and install it, it asks me to restart my computer of course, so I do so. When it loads back up, I now have a nifty Geforce Nvidia icon on my task bar, it's got all these nice settings and options about quality and resolution and whatnot. Anyways, I finally do the procedure that the forum told me to do to fix the text error and I load the game...but something is wrong...it looks like a scrambled Nintendo game as it loads up. So now I am like " is going on???" I am going crazy, like, I had no problem with the 3D rendering of the game before, but now the game graphics looks scrambled. Anyways, I figure out someway to manage to find the (Quit Game) button.

So now, I am trying to figure out how to uninstall the driver I just downloaded it. Naturally I try to run the setup wizard program again, but it doesn't say anywhere to "uninstall" it just asks me if I want to overwrite the files that were already installed. Now, I do something crazy, I am mad about this dumb update driver I thought would help me, but just cause me a night of [bleep]. I got to Add/Remove Programs and REMOVE my NViDia Geforce Display Driver. Bad Move. After it uninstalls it asks me to reset, so I do so. When I load back up, and try to scroll down anything such as webpages or anything in folders, it's maddd choppy. I am now going crazy like omg, I just deleted a necessary component for my PC! So I just head over to nvidia.com or something and I manually have to look for my driver on the list, (I am using a nVidia GeForce 4 btw) and I download those updated drivers. ...I install...blah blah...reset...try to run the game hoping everything will be back to normal, and bam, return of the mack, the same screwed up graphical collage again!

Now I am in loss of hope, so I am wondering is there anyway to revert to like 10 hours ago? Or is there anything I can do to go back to normal? I am sorry about the long read guys, but I am just hoping I can find some help here.

Thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows XP has a 'roll-back driver' feature in Device Manager, on the properties page for the device your having trouble with.
Control Panel (Classic view)->System->Hardware->Device Manager.
Right-click the device, choose 'Properties'.
Click the 'Driver' tab
Click the 'Roll Back Driver' button.

Failing that you could try 'System Restore' to return to a date before you updated the driver. That will not affect your data in places like 'My Documents' in case you were wondering.

Edited by pip22, 14 August 2007 - 12:41 PM.