Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is Shared Use Of Sound In My Pc Bad? [Integrated And Pci]

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
Good afternoon,

I recently purchased a brand new m audiophile 192 pci sound card. It's used for professional studio sound recording, and can also be used as a super clear professional hearing sound source for audio editing [I'm a sound engineer]. It's obviously installed on my motherboard in a pci slot, but I still have my integrated motherboard sound as well. According to the m audio company I can use one sound source at a time. For example I can use my motherboards integrated sound, but by doing so the m audiophile 192 sound card must be disabled in my "sound devices control panel" [which is easy to do on my systray]. It also works the other way around so when I want to use my m audiophile 192 pci card to hear/record sound, the integrated motherboard sound must be disabled.

Why is this an issue?

Well because I cannot use my m audiophile 192 pci sound card to speak with my family over msn. The sound card does not have regular inputs and outputs for a normal headset mic since it's an advanced piece of hardware meant for professional studio recording uses. Therefore I must enable my integrated motherboard's sound [which automatically disables my pci sound card], and than I can speak with my family with a headset connected to the "normal" inputs/outputs of my motherboards integrated sound panel on the back of my pc.

I constantly switch back and forth from integrated sound to my pci card sound everyday for multiple uses and work I have to do which requires either or. What I want to know is if my pci sound card will be damaged by constantly switching from sound source? If my pci sound card will die/damage because I leave it disabled for hours at a time or days on end? I have no idea what happens when you disable your pci sound card... I think the worst like electricity will jump through it and fry it or something because of it's inactivity. I fear the sound card will damage the pci slot or something worse. I may be just jumping to conclusions since I don't know much, so I need you all to stop me. I'd like to know what you think...

I hear a lot about people having multiple sound cards, or video cards in their pc's. So I assume they do the same disabling/enabling settings each and everytime they want to use one for the moment. By the way I am not talking about anything that has to do with my bios. My bios is always set to use/enable all pci slots, and my integrated motherboard sound is also enabled in my bios. I'm just letting you know so you don't wonder what I'm talking about. All the disabling/enabling is done in windows on my m audio control center systray icon.

Thanks

Edited by superstar, 14 August 2007 - 03:36 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Disabling/Enabling sound devices in Windows will not harm those devices no matter how often it's done. Depending on what method of disablement you use, the setting will either make that device 'invisible' to Windows, or Windows itself will not load it's driver at startup, so again it becomes 'invisible' to the system or effectively non-existent.

Edited by pip22, 14 August 2007 - 12:54 PM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
The diabling/enabling of the two sound devices [pci or integrated] is done on windows. So I can switch from one to the other 100 times while I'm on my pc without restarting. It has nothing to do with rebooting with no drivers. You are right though it probably makes one invisible to windows or something. I hope your right and nothing bad happens to my pc or sound card.