Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

LCD screen cleaning

• Please log in to reply

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
What are the suggested products to clean your monitor? Do you really need those specialized products they try to hype at your local techy stores?

Advertisements

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
i bought a cheap cleaning product, i thought it was a special solution of some sort... when i applied it, it smelled like alcohol... just now upon reading you topic i googled it... it turns out that its just i part water and 1 part 90% alcohol... hahaha...

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I would think alcohol to be to harsh on the screen?

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
it says so on the label... contains alcohol.... i think thats why they added water to the solution... :whistling:

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
You said 90% alcohol. Isn't that just like using rubbing alcohol? Isn't that to hard on the screen? They aren't made out of glass anymore.

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
your probably right...

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
So what should we use?

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
ei MarkN you're right, its not 90% it 50 %...

found this site:
http://www.powernote...d...lnews&id=32

and tried googling cleaner and optimax keeps showing up... apparently its multi purpose.. can be used with other electronic devices...

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Thanks, That is what I will use. I new there had to be something else than those expensive cleaning solutions they try to sell you at places like Circuit City. I think they wanted like 8 bucks for a small bottle of it.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I use a very slightly damp cloth like the ones one uses for ones spectacles, then one can often feel where the sticky bits are, I don't use paper based things at all and I don't over rub a blemish that shows wear, a lot depends on the surface of the screen, mine are mostly old laptops so I am weary not to wear the surface away