Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help - Building a new barebone with old parts!

• Please log in to reply

mitch205gti

mitch205gti

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Basically I am just looking for some advice, our Shuttle SB83G5M started acting up and eventfully died, we got it through out house insurance about 18 months ago and the company that supplied it said if we sent it back they will look at it for free. Anyway they phoned today and said the motherboard is shot and they can't get a replacement as it has been discontiued, also the graphics card fan is dead so that could be damaged too.
They advised we buy another barebone system and transfer all the stuff across as it's not that hard to do. So can any suggest a reasonable small system for less than £130 that will work with the following:

P4 630, socket 775 800fsb 3.0ghz em64t 2mb cache
2x kingston 512mb 400mhz ddr non-ecc dimm
Maxtor 250bg 7200rpm sata 3.5" 16mb diamondmax10
LG16x DVDRW
ALPS 720k/1.44mb 3.5" FDD
SWEEX wireless pci network card

The above was copied straight from the advice note from when we got the PC so sorry if it’s a bit long winded, I'm not very good with PC's.

I was looking at a base model shuttle but am now swinging towards the ASUS P2-P5945GLink, will this work with the stuff above or has any one got any other sugestions.

It will be used for general pc tasks, no games as have a 360 for that but might be connected to my 37" Samsung LCD for HD films. So any body got any advice.

Thanks

Mitch

Advertisements