Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

motherboard problems

• Please log in to reply

the prophet

the prophet

• Pip
  • 8 posts
ok i just ordered new parts for a computer im building but im beginning to worry about the motherboard. its a EVGA EVGA 122-M2-NF59-TR Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard and yea i know i could've saved money by not getting the sli but i was new to this. i was looking at the I/O panel in a picture of the mobo and i noticed it didnt have one of the slots i could plug my monitor into. am i missing something or what?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

The motherboard you have selected does not have intergrated graphics. This means that without a video card you will not be able to connect your computer to a monitor. What you are missing is a video card.

the prophet

the prophet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
well i have a video card. this is my first build and what concerned me was my motherboard(like whether different parts were compatable with it)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I understand. Good luck with your first build.

Edited by Titan8990, 14 August 2007 - 01:52 PM.

the prophet

the prophet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thank you. also i was wondering about overclocking. how exactly is it done?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Overclocking is usually done through the BIOS. Boards such as Gigabytes, EVGA, and ASUS all have advanced overclocking features in their BIOS. We have a guide here on the forum for overclocking but it is a bit dated: How-to Overclock. Also overclock.net has some very good guides: Overclock.net FAQs

I don't recommend doing any overclocking until you are well read on the subject. If you plan on overclocking your CPU you will want to buy an aftermarket cooler.

Usually graphics cards are the easiest to overclock. Nvidia and ATI both provide software for doing so. Because graphics cards can usually run safely up to 90C it is a bit safer as well.

Edited by Titan8990, 14 August 2007 - 02:05 PM.

the prophet

the prophet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok i have the parts now but i noticed that along with the 24 pin connector on the mobo it also has a 8 pin 12 volt connector but my powersupply only comes with a 4 pin 12 volt. could this be a problem?

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

ok i have the parts now but i noticed that along with the 24 pin connector on the mobo it also has a 8 pin 12 volt connector but my powersupply only comes with a 4 pin 12 volt. could this be a problem?

If your PSU does not have the 8 pin connector and your motherboard needs it, you will need a different power supply.

Most good power supplies have both connections.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What kind of PSU did you purchase?

the prophet

the prophet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
a 500 watt thermaltake Link

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
RMA it while you still can. If you would like we can help you pick out one that will work with your system.