Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

JOHANNES7

JOHANNES7

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone
I am from South Africa and because of my interest in computers I have decided to do an A+.
I recently got an assignment and this question I am really battling with.

Is there anyone out there who will be so kind as to help me?

Thanks in advance
Johann
South Africa

Scenario:
You work for a company that uses computers without floppy drives. You have to install a new hard disk on one of these computers. The user requires Windows 98 on the computer. The computer has a CD rom drive but you cannot boot from it (Windows 98 CD rom is not bootable).

You have to prepare the hard disk on a workshop machine. You can assume that you will install the hard disk to prepare it and remove the disk from the workshop machine once prepared. The workshop machine has a floppy drive installed. You then hand the disk to the other technician. This technician will install the hard disk into the production machine, boot the machine, access the CD rom drive and run the installation from the Windows 98 CD rom on that machine.

You can assume that the hard disk is already partitioned (primary partition active) and formatted but it is not bootable.

Describe in detail the steps you would do to accomplish the task up until where you hand the disk to the technician. You do not have to describe the installation process in the workshop machine – only the steps you take to prepare the hard disk.

This is my answer but I need to also describe in English what I do:
1)Make hard disk primary disk
2)Boot off Windows 98 start-up disk
3)A:\SYS C: - enter
4)Eject disk and reboot computer
5)Install drivers for Dos
6)A:\>C: enter – change to C drive
7)C:\>MD CDROM – enter (Make directory)
8)C:\>CD CDROM – enter
9)C:\>CDROM>COPY A:CDROM.SYS –enter (Copy the drivers)
10)C:\>CDROM>COPY A:MSCDEX.EXE – enter
11)C:\CDROM\CD\ enter
12)C:\>A:EDIT CONFIG.SYS – enter (Config.sys –device=C:\CDROM\CDROM.SYS /D: CD001)
13)C:>A:EDIT AUTOEXEC.BAT – enter – (Autoexec.bat – C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D: CD002)
14)C:>
15)Remove start-up disk
16)Reboot computer
17)Install on production machine
18)Start computer

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Please only post your topic in one category <_<