Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UH OH - I think I did it

• Please log in to reply

whtnknights

whtnknights

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I opened up a link earlier

http://www.geekstogo...ue-t167475.html

I tried to fix it on my own by searching PRO11.MSI

I downloaded the RegCure tool which basically finds discrepancies such as:

COM/Active X entries
Uninstall entries
Font entries
Shared DLL's
Application paths
Help files
Windows Startup Items
Program Shortcuts
File Path References
File Associations
Empty Registry Keys

The good news is that I removed quite a few discrepancies through regedit (didn't touch Windows startup, File Path References or Empty registry keys).

The bad news is that all of my desktop icons are gone (files are still there as far as I can tell) and my favorites are gone in Internet Explorer. However, the favorites still appear in Netscape.

I kind of like the clean desktop but the favorites are a problem since I may never remember what they all were.

By the way, downloading the RegCure trial version didn't repair my original PRO11.MSI problem, nor did it rapair any of the discrepancies, I had to do each one manually.

I rebooted to try an get everything back, but to no avail...

Are there any geeks out there that can help a wannabe geek?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You should have stayed posting at the original topic instead of opening basically the same problem in a new topic. Doing this only confuses and delays your help.

Ron

whtnknights

whtnknights

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I hear what you are saying, but this is now a new problem...

My entire Microsoft Office has vanished - eeek!!

Edited by whtnknights, 14 August 2007 - 06:30 PM.

whtnknights

whtnknights

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Does anyone have a clue why my Microsoft office vanished after running this RegCure tool?

I copied MSOffice over to my E: drive a while ago - but when I try and restore it from the 2003 Profile Wizard it cannot the INI file or this...

C:\Documents and Settings\Christian\My Documents\New Settings File.OPS

Just trying to help as much as I can before you get a chance to look into this.

Thank you in advance for your help - you guys rock!!!!

Edited by whtnknights, 15 August 2007 - 08:43 PM.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
If a program you have used has altered parts of the registry, check to see if it has a back up feature. I personally do not recommend registry cleaners as they are often more trouble than they are worth.

Before you enter the registry, you should always make a backup.

If you cannot do any of the above, you could try using system restore to restore your computer to a previous point before these problems have started.

Restoring Windows XP to a previous State

To restore Windows XP to a previous restore point you need to open the System Restore Utility. To open the utility, go to your System Tools group under Accessories in your Programs menu. Then click on the System Restore icon.

You should select the radio button that is labeled "Restore my computer to an earlier time", which is designated by the red box. When that is selected press the Next button. You will then be presented with a screen similar to the picture below:

Posted Image

At this point you should select a restore point that you would like to restore. If a particular day has any restore points created on it the date will be in bold. You can then select the restore point by clicking once on its name, as designated by the red box in Figure 6 and then pressing the Next button.

At this point you will prompted with a confirmation as to whether or not you want to continue. If you do want to continue, you should press the Next button again, otherwise press cancel. System restore will then shut down all open applications and reboot the computer.

After the computer is rebooted you will see a screen that contains information as shown below confirming that the restoration to the restore point is complete.

Posted Image

If there are any problems with your computer since you restored to this restore point, you can revert back to your previous settings by going back into the System Restore Utility and selecting the "Undo my last restoration" radio button and pressing the Next button as shown below:

Posted Image

There are some problems associated with System Restore when it comes to viruses. When restore points are created they are stored in a directory that is accessible only to the System account and not to a user. This keeps the restore points safe from misuse and tampering. Unfortunately this also means that any virus scan software you may have installed can not scan the files located there as well. This causes a problem if a file that is infected with a virus gets backed up into a restore point because now the anti-virus software can not clean it. Now if you ever restore from a restore point, that file that is infected will be introduced back into your system.

With this in mind, if you find that you are infected with a virus, hijacker, or spyware and want to make sure you do not get reinfected if you restore a restore point, you should turn System Restore off and then back on again to clear all the restore points. This will guarantee that their are no infected files that could be restored.

whtnknights

whtnknights

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Great - I am now much closer!! Now I am back to my original problem. I can open all Microsoft Office applications with the exception of Microsoft Excel (I get the same cannot find PRO11.MSI).

Therefore, when I try to download these security updates, they still fail since it needs PRO11.MSI

Security Update for Office 2003 (KB936048)
Update for Outlook Junk Email Filter 2003 (KB936643)
Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB940602)

Therefore I could theoretically just keep going back to the restore utility until it doesn't happen any longer. However, we now have Verizon FIOS internet and I will have to check when everything was installed so that I do not restore it back to a point to where we only had DSL (I would then loose my XCON).

Hmmmm, interesting. I am feeling better about things now although I still lost all of my bookmarks in Internet Explorer.

Question: Can I somehow just get this PRO11.MSI file? It probably got corrupted somehow. Either that or it was intentionally removed. It amazes me that with all of the firewalls etc... Hackers still find a way to get in and mess with your computer. Like I said before, this computer was built for me just so I could do gaming and work (MS Office), so I do not have the original installation CD's. Not sure why now that I come to think of it.

What an oxy-moron most hackers hack because they are anti-technologists. We could use you guys solving complex issues that will help out our society. Many companies do and will continue to hire you - enough already!!

Thanks again Sara - I think I love you :whistling:

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Insert the Microsoft Office disk into the CD drive.
Open Microsoft Word. Click Help, then detect and repair.
Follow the prompts to repair corrupt files in all Microsoft Office Programs.

so I do not have the original installation CD's.

Without the disk you might be in trouble.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not sure if this will help you with PRO11.MSI: Description of the Outlook 2003 junk e-mail filter update: December 16, 2003.

This article describes how to download and install the Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter Update: KB832333.

As Sara said, you will need your Office CD for this.

Related:
This article describes how to download and install the Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter Update: KB832333.
PRO11.MSI-where can I find this file?
Download Office 2003 Pro11.msi Latest version

Ron

whtnknights

whtnknights

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks a bunch!!

I restored as far back as I could (July 15th)... Now I will have to find a way to get the original install CD's.

Question: After I restored (at any date), I get an error message. Failure to initialize address 0x800106ba

It's probably a startup failure message looking for a memory address that is no longer valid

Any recommendations?

I see there may be some lingering effects. MY CCleaner now gets an error message 75: Path/File access error

Thanks again guys, you are the best!!

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Uninstall CCleaner using Add\Remove Programs, then reinstall it.
I think the first error you mentioned is Windows Defender. Reinstall that also.

whtnknights

whtnknights

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I uninstalled CCleaner and Defender through Add/remove before I posted, but I noticed it was on my E; drive as well (sharing violation). I am good to go on that, both issues are fixed.

Back to where I was before my original post - Just the PRO11.MSI issue

I visited Ron's link "Download Office 2003 Pro11.msi Latest version", but you have to pay for a membership and I am not 100% certain that it will work. I will have to figure out another way to solve my dilemma...

I'll leave you alone now. I appreciate your guidance through all of this.

Peace...

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I clicked on the DL link and could have DLed the file. Canceled connection with server. I went no further so do not know if there's a membership catch or not, but there should be other sources.

Ron

Addendum: Found this...

Q. Why do I have to pay $ 4.95 for something that was meant to be free?
A. We pay for server costs, bandwidth, and upgrades, we require a tiny fee to access our site to afford to continue. This fee will cover server costs, file spidering costs, mysql costs, staff wages, programming costs and upkeep costs. Without the fee, this service would otherwise be impossible to provide, maintain or improve on. We are constantly working on providing you with higher quality service.

That may apply to the file or the music and other content DLs. Here's one site that mentions a lot of similar problems. Item #69 had one good solution: It's about time you updated your Office. Very outdated, but??? Most of the links given didn't work for me.

Edited by Major Payne, 17 August 2007 - 01:36 PM.