Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot, constant clicking, not HDD or PSU

• Please log in to reply

bhansell

bhansell

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I'm trying to fix an older computer that all of a sudden decided not to boot up. Here's the deal: I turn it on, the power-on LED lights up, fans power-up, but that's it. Also, a constant clicking noise is coming from somewhere, but I have no idea where. My initial thought was the HDD, but it still clicks when I disconnect or replace it. Then I thought maybe the CD drives, but they also aren't the problem. After searching online, I was led to the PSU, but after replacing that I get the same problem. I also thought maybe the cpu fan was the cause of the clicking, but I briefly powered-up w/o the fan connected and it still clicked. I was finding some mention of beep codes online, but this is more of a click than that annoying, loud beep. It doesn't seem that the clicking noise is coming from the speaker.

Also, I've troubleshooted as much as possible. Reseated all connectors, no burn marks anywhere, etc. I'm at a loss. Any ideas? Thanks,

Brian

Edited by bhansell, 14 August 2007 - 04:07 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G Brian

I have personally only come across the problem you describe once before - it baffled me too for a minute!
In my case the clicking noise was coming from the power supply but not because the power supply was faulty. The cause of the problem was actually a blown motherboard - damage to the board's circuitry was causing the PSU to behave in this way (remember that with an ATX power supply the switch on/off process is controlled by the motherboard).

I can't guarantee that this true in your case but if you've eliminated everything else then I would suggest it's certainly possible.

bhansell

bhansell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sam,

Thanks for the response. You're guess seems pretty reasonable. Here's an update though: Someone suggested I isolate the sound using a paper towel roll, which worked great. To my surprise, it seems like the sound IS actually coming from the small 1/2" speaker. I would still define it as a click though, about 3 times per second.

This would probably also lead you to a blown motherboard, right? And is it even worth replacing one (assuming I could) on an older computer?

bhansell

bhansell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was able to find an equally old computer laying around and swapped out the HDD and various components, works great. Not a perfect solution, but good enough for my needs. Looks like it was probably the motherboard. Thanks for all your help,

Brian

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No worries, glad to hear you've managed to get it all working!