Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezing soon after boot

• Please log in to reply

disinfertention

disinfertention

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I've gone through some issues with my computer, see the two links below to read through where I started to where I am...

http://www.geekstogo...t-p1026929.html

http://forums.techgu...ing-system.html

I've gotten through all of it and after erasing and then partitioning my drive with MHDD, WinXP finally loaded and was able to reboot without giving me either the Error Loading Operating System or hal.dll missing or corrupt problems.

I went to install my drivers off of the disc provided by Alienware. The last two times I had done this I had just installed all of them off the disc then rebooted to the hal.dll issue. So this time I was going to do one at a time. I installed my MotherBoard Driver, rebooted, and now my computer freezes once it boots windows and the last two times when I opened any app to include task manager... Obviously it must be something to do with the driver? But how do I remove it or fix this issue?

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
perhaps the safe mode with boot logging will help. but since you feel the mobo driver is at fault i would look in the add remove programs or even the admin tools in the services section for info on that driver. if it turns out this doesnt fix the problem then unload the alienware stuff. it could be any of of those.but.... if you get a chance to look at the boot log perhaps light will be shed on whats what.i hate to even mention the boot from cd and to do a repair. :whistling:

Edited by krmooo, 17 August 2007 - 02:17 AM.