Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro. Reboots After Windows XP Splash Screen.

• Please log in to reply

alewing13

alewing13

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My mom recently bought a new computer. She was on the computer when it said something to the point of "This version of windows has become unstable. Please insert your Windows XP CD or continue with this version." The problem is, that this computer doesn't have an internal cd-rom drive. We have and external one that connects through USB but didn't have a chance to install it yet, so she clicked the option to continue with this version of windows. After she clicked the button the computer shut down and continuously tried to reboot. Only to make it as far as the Windows XP Splash screen (The one with the blue bar scrolling across it).

Since then I have been trying everything I know to try to get the computer to work. And since I have resorted to posting here, obviously none of them have worked. So far my results have been:

It only gets to the splash screen in Safe mode, Safe mode/Command prompt, and Last known good configuration options.
[/list]I inserted the 6 windows xp boot disks and tried going into the repair setting and did chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f. I also tried fixmbr.
[/list]We recently added a 1GB stick of RAM so I removed that and tried booting... got the same reboot.
[/list]Windows also will not load in VGA mode.
[/list]I disabled the auto restart option and got a Stop code of
"c000021a {Fatal System Error} The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down."

The contents of the drive are not important if a FORMAT and reinstallation is in order. Thanks in advance for any help.

Alex :whistling:

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
when first turning on your computer look at what key needs to be pressed to enter the b i o s settings. change the boot order to you external cd to first boot option. place the #1 cd you have n the drive an see if a repair install can be done. since reinstallation isnt a big deal perhaps thats option 2. right now i wouldnt even be concerned with fixmbr and chkdsk. it sounds like only a partial system got loaded windows x without the p kinda thing :blink: and upon further review.. xp is or was pre-loaded? because if im not mistaken these boot disks are just that.of course if you have the xp cd then no worries. hope this has helped :whistling:

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hi alewing13,
Welcome to Geekstogo.

The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error:

"STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x0000000)
The system has been shutdown.

This error may have several causes, including, but not limited to the following:
  • Mismatched system files have been installed.
  • A Service Pack installation has failed.
  • A backup program that as used to restore a hard disk did not correctly restore files that may have been in use.
  • An incompatible third party program been installed.
If last known good configuration does not fix the problem (ie driver issue) you should reinstall the Operating System rather than look for a work around which would take much longer.

:whistling:

alewing13

alewing13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay well reinstalling is kind of what I thought might have to happen. My problem now is that there is no internal CD drive, and I can't seem to get the computer to boot with the external USB CD drive. This is a Dell Optiplex system (A smaller, sort of business-type tower) so there is no extra room for an internal CD drive. Nor is there even a place for an IDE cable to be plugged in. I would just put the hard drive in my desktop but the hard drive in there seems to take some smaller version of an IDE cable.

Edited by alewing13, 21 August 2007 - 11:52 AM.