Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP reinstall problems

• Please log in to reply

peterrex

peterrex

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
So I find myself in an inevitable upgrade of Windows XP. Some combination of registry clean up and possible virus or spyware infections, whatever. First I got a "Windows cannot validate" message. Nothing I did helped. I may have fouled up in the process for all I know. I tried using the Windows validation tool but it doesn't work in safe mode and so on. The next thing I know I am even more limited and cannot get into safe mode except with a command prompt.
So I initiate a reinstall with my bonafide Windows disk which also includes Service Pack 2. I commence to reinstall and all goes well up to it saying it had 34 minutes to go to finish. Then it hung demanding a viaagp1 file. No matter how it was offered, it was refused. I had it on a flash drive, later I put it on a small CD. Nothing. I kept trying to reinstall. I got mad and tried to start a new reinstall.
The rest of the story is that I finally ended up in the Recovery Console and subsequently with great fear did a fix mbr. Lo and behold the reinstall continued past the 34 minute mark.
Now it has 28 minutes to go and has refused the requested dll files I offered it. I passed the first two by but the last one it gave me an error message that if I passed it Windows would not work. So I am stumped again.
You kind folks guided me gracefully through a rough patch while I built a new system a few years ago, the one I am writing from even now! However my other needed system is the one that is down. IS this something I could do from the Recovery COnsole or even in the wilderness of pure DOS? I have negotiated these things before but I am a nervous camper since it is so easy to get lost.
I could tell you all about it and will if you need to know but I'm guessing that the hardware stuff is not the issue here, just some Windows reinstallation issues that have probably been seen before by the wise men at Geeks to Go. I await your wisdom. Peter :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you use the default or quick format option?

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
No I have performed no formatting, I know that much.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you running a repair install as outlined here

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Because I have tried to do this several times I am now met with the window that only tells me that C: Partition1 (Unknown) 58643MB free is the location that will be installed to. I am offered the opportunity to install Windows XP by pressing ENTER or create a partition in the unpartitionsed space and press C other wise I could delet the selected partition. I have the feeling that if anything, only the first is of interest.
Before I got here I was offered an opportunity to continue the previous setup which was incomplete. However I did not try that due to the fact it would not pass the point where it was asking for dll files. I haven't actually done anything, to the best of my knowledge other than attempt to initiate new setups without success. I do not get the request for the validation key anymore though as it was given a while ago and not been asked again.
So, do I go for the install of Windows on the partition (I'm afraid to do that) or return to the previously unfinished setup that I found myself at a dead end with? Where to go from here? Thanks Peter :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have data on the drive you need

Boot the PC using the XP CD and look for a prompt to 'Press any key to boot from CD' (some systems may not ask).

Press any key on the keyboard and Windows Setup will launch

After a few minutes you will be presented with the following choices:

To setup Windows® XP now. press Enter

To Repair a Windows® XP installation using Recovery Console, press R

To quit setup without installing XP, press F3

Press R to repair the Windows® XP installation

The next screen will ask you which Windows® installation you would like to log on to. Normally the following will be listed:

1: C:\WINDOWS

Press 1 and then Enter to continue.

You may now be asked for the Administrator password. If you know this type it and press Enter. If you don't know the Administrators password it may be blank. Just press Enter

At the command prompt type:

chkdsk /r

Press Enter

Chkdsk will now check the hard drive for errors, and will attempt to repair any it finds.

This process may take a while, but when finished will go back to the same command prompt as before.

Turn off and restart the computer.

Continue with the previous repair install

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
when I do what you suggest the prompt comes back saying: The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.
Next?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run it again, it has been known to help

If not, we will move on

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
If you mean run the command again it gives the same reply. Should I get out altogether and get back to the recovery console and try again or do I need to try another avenue?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run it as if for the first time using boot to recovery console

Advertisements

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I rebooted, pressed ENTER and then f10 so as to get the option of the recovery console and when I repeated the chkdsk /r command I got: The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.
So?

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Would I be better off in straight DOS? I have gone there in the past to save files prior to a reinstallation. I don't quite remember how I did this or how I got in to DOS but it had more options than the recovery console as i recall. Are there any other things I could do within the recovery console to repair the operating system? Thanks Peter

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is F10 the recovery partition, not the recovery console from an XP CD

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
That's possible though I didn't see it described that way. When I go through this process the f10 takes me to a "new install" of WIndows XP and asks me if I want to repair a previous installation or start a new one. When I say I'll repair it I get to a place where I get the recovery console. When I say I'll install a new one it asks if I want to put it on partition1. That is the only option as there are no other partitions on this drive. So I am a bit stumped.
This time I am met with a "set up is being restarted. I think I didn't hit the button fast enough after the CD boot opton came up. Anyway, I let it continue and it gets to 28 minutes to complete and a copy error apppears saying it cannot copy the file comuid.dl and offering a window and browse button to relocate the file. This has not worked in the past so I am returning to the CD boot again.
So I get Set up is inspecting and then"the computer is already in the process of being upgraded to Windows What do you wnat to do?" To coninue the current upgrade press ENTER-Tp cacel the current upgrade and install a new version of Windows press f10 or to Exit press f3.
When I continue the current upgrade it brings me to the situation I described at the top of this message. Either way it seems to balk at completeing the set up.
The f10 eventually brings me to a Welcome to Setup. To setup now press ENTER- to repair a Windows installation using the Recovery console press R and to quit press f3
I suspect I have somehow compromised something in the process of trying to fix it. It is still in a Windows context mode but I cannnot get into safe mode anymore. What do you think?
Should I try to proceed with a reinstall when it asks me if I want to install a new version on top of the old one on Partition1? What will I lose if I do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you choose

to repair a Windows installation using the Recovery console press R

It just want to carry on with the already started set up?

At 28 minutes does it give the option to skip the file?

" Should I try to proceed with a reinstall when it asks me if I want to install a new version on top of the old one on Partition1? What will I lose if I do? "

Probably everything on the partition