Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP reinstall problems

• Please log in to reply

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Yes it gives me the option to skip the file and then when I go for it I get a message that Windows might not work if I skip the file. In the case of trying to load the file from known locations it has refused to take the file. I have gone so far as to find a "clean" copy of the file elsewhere and put it on a flash drive or a cd and it won't take it. It looks like I need to get to DOS to make sure I back up files before trying any of the options you suggest. If it's going to basically rewrite everything on the partition then that suggests it will reformat it somehow. I wonder if I try the other optiion of going forward with the setup inspite of whethr I have the file or not then I risk making the nominal access I have now even worse without reformatting.
So, the question is what is the most prudent thing to do here?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Skip all files

If you can get it to load then you have the option of a repair install or backing up any data you need ahead of a clean install

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I think I've been down this road before but I'll give it a try. I will press R to repair a windows installation.
I have seen the article you show before but I do not keep getting a request for the product key.
I was brought back to the recovery console and am stumped as to what I should do here since the chkdsk /r command results in the previously described message: The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. So I type EXIT and am returned to the new set up option. That brings me not to the "read this contract first" mesage or any request for a key but to: Setup has already attempted to upgrade the following Windows installation. C:\WINDOWS "Microso9ft Windows XP Professional" Setup will try to complete the upgrade again To retry upgrading to Windows XP, press ENTER TO quit Setup press F3. I press ENTER and it begins to create the list of files to copy.
So it akes a few minutes to copy files gives an error of inability to copy a file and I retry, it goes on, after a lot more file copying it loads hives and initializes and saves configuaration. It reboots I ignore the boot from CD and let it go to the harddrive. I am returned to the "Setup will complete in approximately: 39 minutes". Once again it tells me Files Needed: The VIAAGP1.SYS on VIA AGP Filter DriverDisk is needed. However unlike the last time I was at this point this time the mouse is not working. I have no where to go now. I managaed with keyboard commands to cancel the request and the mouse came back on! It continues proceed. Then it gives the error Setup cannot copy the file snmpcl.dl_ and I have been here before too with 28 minutes left in seup. I tell it to skip the file and immediately get another error Setup cannot copy the file snmpthrd.dl_. I know it won't take these files from anything I offer it and I guess I'll tell it to cancel. Next it cannot copy the file comsvcs.dl_ I try to cancel this one and get the message If you cancel copying this file Windows might not work correctly. Are you sure you want to cancel this file? I have been right up to this point before and not known what to do next. So I contacted you guys.
What now?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Skip any files during the set up

You are either installing a second copy, or have missed the format part

The rest of post 17 is for when you get windows to load

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Well this is some kind of progress. I am actually back at the first error that started this mess. The error at start up (which appears to be normal through the Windows is loading your personal settings and the Microsoft startup song) and then I get the message: A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80070005
How do I get past this? It will not allow me to perform validation in safe mode. There is no option for entering the key or using the activation tools. This is a paid for copy. I am actually using a disk from Microsoft that has sp2 on it and all the holograms and so on. This is how it began, I must be close to home. How do I get there? Thanks Peter

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use safe mode if you need to, press enter after each entry

Click start, then run, then type in cmd

Type in cd c:\windows\system32

Type in Rename wgalogon.dll wgalogon.dll.bak

Type in Rename legitcheckcontrol.dll legitcheckcontrol.dll.bak

Reboot

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Getting closer but not there. I did as you suggested but the command prompt in safe mode only responded to the first ENTER to the system32. After that there was no particular response (other than once when I mistyped) after I entered the second command it returned to the System32 and after the third command and ENTER it did the same thing. I rebooted and got the same error message about not accurately checking the license. I can try it again. Anything else? Thanks Peter

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use safe mode to open the registry editor, look for

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\WGALogon

If present, delete the complete WGALogon key including all values.

Reboot.

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Actually on the second try it said The system cannot find the file specified after I typed in Rename wgalogon.dll wgalogon.dll.bak So now what? peter

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
OK, I got to the final folder in the registry after WgaLogon and the folder contains Settings folder with has in the other window a file called Default which is Type REG_SZ and Data (value not set)
Under that is another entry it reads:
Data Type is REG_BINARY and Data is a long string of numbers looking much like a binary code with alot of 01 00 and so on. Is this what I should be deleting? One or both entries? Peter

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Just left click it, right click it, click delete, confirm, close the registry editor

No need to open the WGALogon folder

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I deleted the folder and rebooted. I still get the error: A problem is preventing checking license same error code number as before.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type each of these, press enter after each and wait for the success pop up before moving on

regsvr32 licwmi.dll

regsvr32 regwizc.dll

regsvr32 licdll.dll

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

regsvr32 msxml.dll

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll

regsvr32 softpub.dll

regsvr32 wintrust.dll

regsvr32 initpki.dll

regsvr32 dssenh.dll

regsvr32 rsaenh.dll