Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP reinstall problems

• Please log in to reply

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
same Windows Product Activation error message upon reboot

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the boot partition size has altered, it can cause this

Are you in a position to back up any data you need

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
can I do it from safe mode? If so yes, I have several available external drives.

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
By the way it has installed updates upon shutdown. Ten the first time and one the second.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The updates must have been downloaded because safe mode usually doesn't allow connecting to the internet

See if the external drives will run

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I've tried one USB drive that I have and I can see everything on it. I haven't tried to copy files yet. I also have not tried the firewire drives. If these work what are you suggesting?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Transfer any data you need to the external drives, disconnect them, then wipe the drive with boot and nuke ahead of a clean install

Have you got the software CD's for printers, soundcard etc

Also any product keys

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Yeah I've got all that. I'd hoped to avoid the days of reinstallation and resetting that are implied in that. It's maddening since I can now see everything on my desktop in safe mode. Thats that huh?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you aren't in a hurry, I can ask the other Techs, it shouldn't take an age but it would be a day or so

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
You know, if that's feasable I'd be happy to wait. I have these two computers side by side and they're actually on a LAN with a third machine here. If I can avoid all the work of the total reinstall for the time being I'd prefer it. I've waited this long and if anyone else has any suggestions that might work I'm game.
You have been very kind and I really appreciate all the time you've taken with me. It really has helped considerably despite not solving the essential problem. I'll wait for a message from you thanks again. Peter Ashlock

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can back up the data anyway, it could give more options

If you do the back up, you could always try the repair install in post 17

Will post it for the other Techs to look at

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
probably not what you want to hear but some general info
I think you should go with the advice Keith gave ...backup your data and reformat and reinstall
fought with one like this in the past for several days (at least 20 hours)...kept saying such and such dll files missing (never the same ones either) message that Windows might not work if I skip the file and if I told windows to go ahead anyway..got a screwed up install or a partial install..sometimes the keyboard would not work to enter the product key code..sometimes the mouse wouldn't work..BTW both PS/2... tried repairing ect..ect and the solution was to reformat the drive and reinstall ( not the quick format either)...after doing the standard format ..installed and worked just fine..

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
So I am in the process of backing up all the files from my desk top. Now I'm wondering where the file is that has all the email in my Mozilla Thunderbird program. Any guesses? Also, any suggestions as to other most important things to back up before I go for the final solution? I want to try to be more on top of this in the future and I think I may have gotten too many Virus protections or Spyware programs at one point. This system always was the one I let run a little more "dirty" and was a little more casual about. Any suggestions as to better practices in the future for the sake of protecting the system in the future? This one actually lasted around two years which I thought was pretty good, but it's always a huge headache to go through this reinstall and I have ALOT of work I need to be doing, so, any final words of wisdom from you guys before I head into the long format reinstall? Thanks for your support in the past. Also, just in case, are there any last moment suggestions to save my [bleep] at this point? Ciao Peter

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I don't have time right now to answer the rest of your questions but I will give you a list on what you should have later

Windows 2000/Windows XP

Mozilla & Netscape
C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\profile_name\*.slt\Mail\pop.isp_name.net

Thunderbird
C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\profile_name\Mail\pop.isp_name.net

NOTE: These files are hidden by default.
To see hidden files:
1. On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options
2. Click the View tab
3. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders
4. Disable "Hide File Extensions for Known Files."
5. Click OK.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
4th post down has been suggested