Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP reinstall problems

• Please log in to reply

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I checked out the DCOM suggestion in the fourth post you suggested at http://www.systemtoo...TML/000025.html and I am unsure what or how to proceed with the connection to the Component Services window. This is a little arcane for me. Does any one know how this works to clear up the problem with the validation of Windows error?
I could not decipher what is being described either as a problem or a solution in the post. I ran the dcomfig command and then didn't know what to do-or how to proceed. Suggestions? Thanks guys. Peter

Advertisements

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Well I guess I have to throw in the towel now. Only problem is that when I go to install Windows I get a message:

Your computers startup program cannot gain access to the disk containing the partition or free space you choose. Setup cannot install Windows XP on theis hard disk.
This lack of access does not necessarily indicate an error condition. For example, disks attached to a SCSI adapter that was not installed by your computer manufacturer or to a secondary hard disk controller, are typically not visible to the startup program unless a special software is used. Contact your computer or hard disk controller manufacturer for more information.
On x86- based computers, this message may indicate a problem with the CMOS drive type settings. See your disk controller doumentqtion for more information. Press Enter to contunue.

In this case ENTER simply takes me back to the list of drives and the choices of options being To setup Windows on the selected item press ENTER ( didn't work)
To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
To delete the selected partition press D

I did press C and nothing happened. Pressign D is scary to me and I'm unsure about eliminating the partition. I thought I just wanted to make a clean format and reinstall, but now I'm stumped. Any suggestions? Please? Thanks Peter

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
So I think the problem must have to do with the SATA/RAID drivers only I have forgotten what to do about them. In the BIOS there is a listing for OnChip SATA RAID and the Bootable Add-In Device is checked as OnChip SATA RAID.
Still I am confused. The system refuses to see the C drive even though I have repartitioned and it won't format it or allow any thing more. So I am stumped as to how I am to proceed with the reinstallation, I seem to be stuck. What gives now? Thanks Peter

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
:whistling: Is there any value to disabling the RAID in the bios? I would guess it would be by switching it over to SATA card setting. I just want to format the drive so I can proceed with the reinstall but I can't even seem to do that. Can anyone help me here? :blink:
Thanks, Peter

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just so I don't have to completely reread this whole thread ...how many drives do you have ..is your C: drive SATA ...which drive is on the primary IDE connector...usually the blue connector on the motherboard...

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
There are two drives but I am sure they weren't in an array as such. They are not matched and when the system up, one was smaller secondary drive.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
deleted post

Edited by happyrck, 22 August 2007 - 04:07 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
OK...I am assuming that you do not have any SATA drives..and you do not have any Raid setup at all...

get DBAN HERE...look in the bios and set the boot order to A: (floppy ) first...then the cd drive...and then the hard drive ( C: )boot with it in the cd drive or floppy drive if you go that route..it will erase the drive and you can start all over with the install...if you don't have a .ISO burning software go here and get burncdcc...its a small fast no frills .ISO burner
wipe the drive... one pass...then start the windows install again...this time it will not see the partial failed install and should instal properly...DO NOT USE THE QUICK FORMAT OPTION..
the format can take a long time on larger drives...let it run

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
The only thing that makes me hesitate and it may not matter is that I think there is an onboard RAID and looking at the old documentation from when I originally put the system together a few years ago I vaguely think there was something about this. It is more likely that it was SATA but I don't remember the difference. If there is a single drive that could be SATA could it not? I see in my original stuff a disk with VIA 8237SATA drivers. So does this change anything you said up above?
I am not familiar with what ISO burning software is. What is it and why do I need it? Thanks for the help. Peter

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I just caught on to something. It has an SATA drive because I recognize the cable running from the drive.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you do have a SATA DRIVE ...during the install of windows ...there is a point where it will ask you to press F6 if you need to install drivers for the SATA drive...you then supply the sata drivers on a floppy and the install will continue...

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
This morning I am really aggravated. I tried to boot from the CD and it ignored me and went straight to the broken installation. I tried to hit del to go into the BIOS to deal with the boot sequence so I could rearrange the placement of the floppy drive for the loading of the SATA drivers and it ignored me and went straight to the bad installation. In short the system ignores whatever I do and returns to the dead end of the broken installation. I cannot imagine why the change as I have done nothing on it other than attempt to change partitions. Before I go out and buy a new drive do you have any suggestions?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
its not the drives fault...its a timing issue...try hitting the del key once per second as soon as you power up..(read the screen it may be a different key for setup)..

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
It doesn't seem to make any difference how I time or pace the hitting of the del key. The screen at start up reads Press DEL to enter SETUP and it does not respond.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have other keyboard to try...I thought at one point in this you had got to where windows gave you the option to delete the partition but you were not sure...if you can get back to that point then I would do it and let the install continue and format the drive is one of your options...