Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive Error

• Please log in to reply

networkz

networkz

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
So after the "Magnet" Incident[In short, I put my laptop on my bag and I forgot their we're magnets that closes the bag together and some how windows wasn't able to run and It took me TWO reformats to get it running at optimal/good speed(because the first time it was VERY slow). It was working fine for 2weeks and now I get this error.

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: TOSHIBA MK8007GAH-(PM)

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Press F1 to Continue

I've been just pressing F1 when this error comes up(it comes on before windows boot, so RIGHT after your turn the comp on) and it works fine...but for how long?

Any help? What should I Do? =(

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What you may need to do to rescue the drive is to write the drive to zeros, which will reinitialize the drive. It will have the effect of writing new tracks to the drive to replace the corrupted ones. Even this may not save it, but it's worth a shot. Unfortunately you will lose all your data, so you will want to back everything up. You can download a tool called DBAN, Darik's Boot and Nuke. It can be imaged to a CD or downloaded to a floppy.

If this doesn't work you my just have to get a new drive, they are not very expensive at this time, so that is not such a big problem.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
After this, you will need to use your restore cd's to reinstall windows, like we did last time. Tyger's option is worth trying and will totally format (delete) everything on your hard drive. If it still doesn't work, the drive will most probably fail shortly and need a replacement.

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

What you may need to do to rescue the drive is to write the drive to zeros, which will reinitialize the drive. It will have the effect of writing new tracks to the drive to replace the corrupted ones. Even this may not save it, but it's worth a shot. Unfortunately you will lose all your data, so you will want to back everything up. You can download a tool called DBAN, Darik's Boot and Nuke. It can be imaged to a CD or downloaded to a floppy.

If this doesn't work you my just have to get a new drive, they are not very expensive at this time, so that is not such a big problem.

I lost all my important school notes during my first reformats, so there's nothing valueable on it anymore =( so it's fine to reformat or delete stuff.

Could you elaborate on what you do? Step By Step? I'm not really sure what you mean or what to do?(Sorry Im not very a tech savvy :whistling:)

TIA!!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Here's the link: http://dban.sourceforge.net/

You should read the text file where it says "New DBAN users should read the README.TXT file"

Then select the option you would like to use, I would burn it to a CD. You need to download the .iso file and then burn it as an image. If you're not sure how to burn an image (it's different from burning files) then ask.

All the instructions are there, including links to FAQ's and the DBAN forum itself.

Have fun! :whistling:

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
how do you burn ISO files?

also how long does this process take?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Here is a link to information on how to burn a .iso file (image) to a cd. It has all the instructions and links to downloads you will need.

No idea how long it will take, it would depend on the size of the disk.

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Ok, your suppose to use "autonuke"

right?

PS: It's ETA is about 52 hrs =_=;; and its only like 50-60gb

EDIT 2 : 102 hours now =_=;;

EDIT 3 : Back down to 66

EDIT 4: Back to 88 hours

Edited by networkz, 17 August 2007 - 02:34 PM.

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
68 hours now...

is it suppose to take THIS/THAT long?

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I think DBAN finished...but its weird cuz it said it'll take 68 hrs before i went to bed than like 10hrs later its "done"

it saids DBAN has finished with non-fatal errors

This is usually caused by disk with bad sectors

send the log file with all support requests

What should I do now/next?

Thanks!

Edited by networkz, 18 August 2007 - 01:39 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Have you installed Windows again yet?

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
nope, how do I reinstall windows? Do I just reboot or turn the comp off and put in my VAIO recover 1/2 cd? or :S :S :S

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, like we did the last time. If this still doesn't help, I would look at replacing the drive. If your computer is still under warranty, definitely send it back and get a new hard drive.

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
okay so RIGHT NOW as I turned my comp off and put the VAIO recovery

it pops up

SMART: Failure predicted on Hard Disk 0: TOSHIBA <insert hard-drive code>

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be iminent

Press F1 to continue

should i just ignore it and install the windows or it will still have the same problem?

Edited by networkz, 18 August 2007 - 04:52 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It sounds like the drive is dying big-time. Just ignore it for now and continue installing Windows. It will still have the same problem. Is this under warranty still?