Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram voltage

• Please log in to reply

Sozzle

Sozzle

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently bought and assembled a new pc. The ram that I got requires 2.2 v, Where as the motherboards standard voltage for ram is 1.8v. If I were to leave it at 1.8, would there be a noticeable difference in the preformance of the ram? I ask this because when I do increase the voltage to 2.2, the motherboard lists 2.2 as "red"(red being the most dangerous looking color out of all the choices). Since my ram does support 2.2 v, can anything bad come of me increasing the voltage to 2.2. Damage to the motherboard? Thanks

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6 LGA 775 (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128046)
Ram: CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145043)

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Welcome to geeks to go. As far as I know you don't need to change the voltage. I assembled many computerese and never changed the voltage and all worked well.

When you install the memory doesn't it work?
Running the high voltage and getting the warnings can shorten the life of the mother board...

Sozzle

Sozzle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It does work. I was just wondering if perhaps running the memory at 1.8 v when its 2.2 v memory would in some way affect its performance.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I do not think that it will affect the performance. The 2.2 volt is the max volt that the ram can take not necessarily the wanted running volt.