Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access Network Computers

• Please log in to reply

mikej101

mikej101

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've got a weird problem that is bugging me something rotten.
I've got 5 PC's connected as a workgroup via a Netgear 8 port switch which is connected to the Internet via a BT Versatility Hub/Router.
All machines are running static IP's which makes it easier to setup firewall.
All the computers can access the Internet.
4 of the machines appear in the 'view workgroup computers' - the 5th one is not there. However, I can access the 5th machine from any of the others by typing the path \\machinename and can then view all the shared files and folders. I can also access the '4' from the'5th' by using the same '\\computername' method.
I would like to be able to see the 5th machine in the 'workgroup computers'.
Anyone got any ideas as to why it will not appear?

Advertisements

mikej101

mikej101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
What ! Nobody has any ideas !

Maxx_PL

Maxx_PL

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
It's standard "feature" of Windows networking :whistling:

It's very common that Windows computers have problems broadcasting their names over network.

To solve this problem you need WINS or DNS server on Windows or Linux (you can use Samba for WINS server).

Much easier workaround will be just placing shortcut icons to these machines :blink: