Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help Please

• Please log in to reply

missdebbie

missdebbie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium on my lap top, it was given to me in March for my b-day. I did a really dumb thing, I never made the back up copies at that time. If I were to make the copies now, would they also copy all the sites that are saved in the index files? There are things on there that I do not want others to see. Would it be better for me to go and buy the same program again and delete this one? I know it is the costly way to go, but I do not know of anyother way to do it. I want to bring it back to factory settings again. Thank You for your help. Debbie

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi missdebbie...

Why not delete the browsing history instead?

Internet Explorer: Open Control Panel and double click on "Internet Options". Under the General tab, in the Browsing History section, click the "Delete..." button.

Firefox: Open Firefox and click "Tools" on the toolbar, choose "Options". Click the "Privacy" icon at the top, then, in the Private Data section, click the "Clear Now..." button.

wannabe1

missdebbie

missdebbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I really want to take it back to the factory settings. I want to know if I do the backup cds now will they copy what is on all the index.dat files, even the hidden ones. Or would it be better and I know more costly to go out and buy the same program and wipe out the old and download the new program. Please I really need some help here. :whistling:

Edited by missdebbie, 15 August 2007 - 09:22 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Creating the Recovery Set at any point will create a cd to take you back to factory fresh settings...it will not create an image of the machine's current configuration.

missdebbie

missdebbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank You Wannable1, I just made my restore cds. Now all I have to do is learn how to change it back to the factory settings using the cds. :whistling:

Tech4rce

Tech4rce

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Why don't you just install the operating system??
Insert the first disk, and re-start the laptop, should start the installation.

*** of course you should back up anything that you don't want to loose - bookmarks, e-mails, documents.....******