Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hi and monitor issues

• Please log in to reply

netcase

netcase

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

I have a wierd problem that's driving me nuts.
My wife has a Compaq 9500 19" CRT monitor on an AMD XP 2100 (1733 MHz)
512 meg ram, with on board sound and graphics.
A few months ago, the screen went a deep red hue with a black start button but would occasionaly flicker back and forth to normal. I tried setting the refresh rate to 85 from 75 Hz and back, played with the operator setting, software, nothing.

I have a Cornerstone PL500 21" CRT on my AMD described in my profile. I have never had any problems with it. I put my wifes Compaq monitor on to my PC to see if the issue was related to her PC only and I had the same horrid colors.
I wrote the monitor off as dysfunctional. I hooked up my Cornerstone again and after it went into standby mode, it came out with the same red coloring! 2 different computers and 2 different screens?

Out of frustration I gave the side a love tap and it went back to normal.
What could this be??
We are both using XP Pro so the black start button is definately not normal!

Thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Connect your own monitor (CornerStone?) to your wife's PC. If all is well, then her monitor has definitely 'packed up' (probably one or more of the three colour-guns has expired). If the CornerStone not working properly on either PC, I would not rule out the possibility that by sheer coincidence both monitors have 'packed up' in similar fashion. A one-in-a-million chance of that happening, but not impossible.

Edited by pip22, 15 August 2007 - 07:44 AM.